Learning 4a With a Regular Yoyo

Harder pads is better for 4A because of the very tight gaps. Using a full C bearing gap is incredibly niche, and at that point it genuinely doesn’t matter what you’re using, because you just accept that every bind needs to be extremely deliberate.

Don’t play with a full size C bearing unless you know what you’re doing. Half spec C and A bearings are fine though.

3 Likes

Sick thanks y’all I’m about to head to the park and try it. Got the whip w the default half spec in and a couple different strings to try and if I can’t get it and get frustrated or feel like its the gear holding me back, I got tons of other fun stuff to work on. Also wanna try TaW anyway so I’mma have the 5a stuff w me and I can just switch whenever I want.

Yeah I don’t know what I’m doing I just wanted to show it could be done. The extra wraps for binding causes it to be snaggy on the next throw and it’s just not a very good time usually lol, it is fun just to try though

2 Likes

Freaking yo! 4a is super fun and I wish I coulda been out there longer. Got to this point pretty quick bc I knew this throw from doing 2a with the squad on 2a Tuesdays. I don’t think could have got this tonight without playing 2a. I also was just freaking doing this over hand movement bc I learned this sick charles haycock wrist mount repeater from the old sector-y stuff on youtube. Just had to tune up the touch and started landing it.

Basically, just stoked! Everyone should get a 6$ yyf whip and try this w a fatty string.

Bonus also—I thought I ruined this cumulous foam by using it with the evil ultra red gasket maker right away instead of a beater string but really it’s just been chilling waiting for 4a.

8 Likes

4a was done with slim bearing freehands at one point so u can technically start learning 4a with any half spec bearing yoyo but I highly advise against it. If u r gonna try 4a just buy some cheap yyf offstring, I m pretty sure they have something up for cheap coz of a-may-zing.

1 Like

Lol coming to the party late today can already got the amayzing deal 4a on the way and been throwing and catching and hoppin the whip 4a it works good

It’ll be easier to catch with a shorter string segment between your hands. I usually hold the end in my throw hand, dividing the string in half.

1 Like

Definitely going to try this! The actual gripping of the string was the last step I struggled with to land on the trap and it is still the part that I need to work on the most like too many times I just hold it there loosely and it hits the trapeze and falls through so I will work on the grip and length of string more. Also do you have any recommendations for something basic to work on when I do land on the trapeze? I need to work on the throw and catch so much still but it would be nice to have something else to work on when I do land well on the trapeze, besides trying to just eli hop and bind.

1 Like

The first things I worked on ( still working on) are barrel rolls and jump rope. Besides the fast wind.

All this 4a talk got me in the mood the last couple days. I don’t throw this a lot being an old YYJ and just because I don’t throw 4a like ever, but why not it’s a plastic toy made to be thrown around at the end of the day right? It’s definitely outdated when you look at all these modern offstring yo-yos, but it still does the trick for anything I can do lol

5 Likes

Lots of stuff can be done w/o a modern off string yoyo like, the Whip is putting in work! I’m getting enough spin time to goof around poorly but it’s baby steps so I’m happy

7 Likes