Just the Facts: Weight and Weight Distribution

[quote=“GTDropKnot, post:19, topic:374037, full:true”]
Updated the OP to include what I think is correct but let me know if i got it wrong…

seems about right to me

Would this be like, “As weight moves away from center axle (rim weight), stability increases”

I dont have any yoyos that are good to compare rim weight vs not in terms of stability
I just know my 60g yoyo hates when i play sloppy and 80 doesnt care

thats valid all else being equal
(so assuming friction and shape are largely similar to make it an apples to apples)

1 Like

From my understanding having more rim weight does cause the yoyo to be more stable.

I also want to mention that the placement of the rim weight can also effect the stability of the yoyo.

As an example compare the Original Edge with the rim placed toward the center of the yoyo with the Bimetal Shutter which has the rim placed on the edge of the yoyo.

The Edge has the rim weight placed closer to the center so that the heavier steel rims don’t offset the balance the yoyo. The Bimetal Shutter has the weight placed at the very edge which could cause the yoyo to tilt easier than the Edge, but is still more stable than if the Bimetal Shutter did not have the weight of the steel rims.

2 Likes

Dang I’m going to have to ponder how to add this because I know where the weight is in the width dimension doesn’t affect rpm or spin time those should be equal but I didn’t think about stability at all and this definitely fits with weight distribution will update later this afternoon hmmm

This is based on what I know behind the design of the Original Edge. If any one has any design corrections or input feel free to correct my statement

2 Likes

outside of certain circumstances, i do not understand people saying a 10g heavier yoyo (let’s say 65g vs 75g) causes any perceptible amount of extra fatigue. people say this is a factor within even a few grams, but as someone who swaps between a 61g yoyo and 76g yoyo and doesn’t feel the slightest bit more fatigued, i just don’t get it. that is such a tiny amount of weight lol

2 Likes

I know playing with a heavier yoyo for a long time will make you more tired than if you had used a lighter yoyo like it depends on the style too like I would never want to use a heavy yoyo to try the next hook up or anything

yeah narrower weight should make it easier to throw straight, (in theory)

but of course narrow throws are less catchable and there is more likelihood of string touching the wall

1 Like

Edited the OP I think this is right I don’t know I’m pretty sure the stuff about mmoi is correct because of the math or whatever but if anyone thinks it’s wrong let me know and I think of stability as like how much it wants to stay where it is vs go off plane or how easy it is to knock it off plane like hit my hand.

Edit also because of like mid center bimetal designs or w/e not sure of the vocab you can have it be wider so bigger catch zone and also have the weight more to the outside rim but more stable because the weight is also closer to the string than if it were out on the edge

2 Likes