Just ordered the Aitch from One-Drop

Yea thats a great colorway, I’m a little bummed I didn’t pull the trigger faster for that one

Did Frank invent the concave bearing? Or; did he just patent the use of an already created type of bearing in a yo-yo? I have seen concave bearings used to center belts in robots. Not sure whether Frank is getting royalties on that.

Anyway, interesting that Doc calls this yo-yo a legend in the making; yet others are a bit more reserved. Let the hype continue.

2 Likes

First of all, nobody called the Aitch a legend in the making. I very clearly stated that I am not at a skill level to give thorough reviews… but I can identify good yo-yos when I play them.

The Aitch is a very good yoyo in my opinion.

On the KonKave bearing> the idea was Franks.

Difeo is a Master machinist by trade. And spent years as a Prototype Machinist and Tool and Die Maker.

When Frank came up with the idea, it was so simple, he was amazed that nobody had already done it🙀.

People had cut center grooves in bearings years before. The Konkave was forward thinking in that it allowed the string to migrate to ‘center’, while still allowing for lateral movement(not locked). So Difeo knew he had something and hence the Patent.

And for ‘years’ nobody even messed with copying the KK.

And then, certain individuals decided to fiddle with any type of race configuration that would also center the bearing, but just be a little bit different enough to ‘skirt’ the Patent.

Once enterprising people noticed that Dif wasn’t trying to Sue anybody, the KonKave became one one of many centering bearings available.

Frank helped change the game…. No doubt about it.

11 Likes

That is so pretty dude. Sm is a hit or miss but this one turned out super good!!

The weight distribution is the main thing. I haven’t bothered comparing the specs, but my impression is the aitch feels more rim weighted but a bit lighter on the string. The silhouette plays how I’d expect a modern W shaped monometal to play, where the aitch really does not feel like any other recent hard H shape I’ve tried, it has more of an updated from 2012 H feel, which I really like a lot. The silhouette has more presence on the string, and is more agile, you can definitely tell its mid-weight oriented. I wouldn’t be surprised if the silhouette has a bit more string gap.

I feel like I get a little more useable spin out of the silhouette, I’d expect more spin out of rim weighted aitch – though this could come down to technique or some other factor. I’m getting a lot more out of the aitch as I’ve gotten more familiar with it. After I get to know it better, I’ll try some different side effects to see I can find an optimum for my play style. I think I’d enjoy the response more with some recessed silicone instead of the pads to compensate for the string gap, I’ll try that next time I break open some monkey snot. I usually really like one drop pads, but they still feel a bit aggressive in my aitch.

I remember my initial impression of the silhouette being it was a good yoyo, but other than side effects and that OneDrop quality, didn’t really stand out from the crowd of similar yoyos. The aitch stands out as something really cool and unique.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response!

1 Like

Got mine today. Seems good. Plays similarly to the (also recently released H shape) Senban. I don’t normally change bearings on OD (or any other throws really), but I put a concave bearing in this one and it seemed to improve stability for me.

11 Likes

Loving the stay frosty strings!

It’s great. I love the H shape. Play similar to the Winglet by ZG. Both very much H. Very comfortable catch. Deff worth picking up if your a OD fan.

11 Likes

Damn good eye! I wouldn’t have known the name since that was just (yet) a(nother) lucky match from the Slicc Booster Pack.

Oh my😳

I built an Atomic weapon and put it in a box.

I can’t keep a secret…

Well, it’s out of the box now I guess>

My 1st mod

Uh, today, lol

8 Likes

Can’t tell in the pic exactly. Is that a flat bearing ceramic doc?

It is concave. Check the image with a yo-yo taken apart laying face up.

At that downward angle you can see that the ceramic bearing has a curve on the outer race. It takes a couple seconds sometimes but it’s kind of like having a camera on manual focus. As you turn the focus ring, it certainly becomes clear and in focus.

Looking down at the gap view of the assembled yo-yo almost looks like the outer race is flat.

I don’t believe you can make an atomic weapon with a flat bearing.

3 Likes

Ok, what bearing…?

Don’t know the Maker.

It came in the box when I got an antithesis yoyo on the BST.

1 Like

@Lido @SR1

What’s the name of the colourway? Is it the NQP Indigo Flats?

Can’t seem to find it on their website or their Instagram.

1 Like

Yep, mine is NQP Indigo Flats. Much less NQP than the previous OD I got, not be a whiner (or show I’m not a whiner).

2 Likes

Yessir!

1 Like

@Lido @SR1

Ah I see, looks like they sold out before I can get my grubby hands on them and OneDrop removed them from their store page. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Saturday Market looks nice too.

1 Like