Its something more than a toy.

I was gonna pull some facts, but Vegabomb beat me to it. GG :]

I personally donā€™t feel that return was an option they were concerned about. I think what they were more concerned about was simply getting it back for re-use without having to climb down to get it, coupled with not having to carry a lot of ammo.

I donā€™t think that having the item be able to come back became a consideration until it got a lot smaller, and even then it probably happened by an accidental discovery.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t consider a rock on a rope to be a yoyo, or really even a notable step along the yoyo evolution. A yoyo, imo, necessarily includes the concept of a return. Thatā€™s the second ā€œyoā€. If you havenā€™t got that then youā€™ve got nothing yoyo-ish.

Itā€™s also hard to imagine the circumstances where a rock on a rope directly becomes a yoyo. For one, if you were going to throw a rock on a rope you wouldnā€™t wrap the rope around the rock. That slows it down and is a needless step. Youā€™d just throw the rock and pull it back. Even if you did wrap it youā€™d still need to be able to produce rope, and have the rope set in an axle system for the concept to even sort of happen accidentally. That requires fabrication skill to the point that youā€™d be far, far beyond throwing rocks.

Iā€™m not trying to ā€œschoolā€ anybody, it just doesnā€™t seem plausible to me. The yoyo as a weapon is far less effective than even the most primitive hunting weapons. As soon as you could carve a point on a stick your yoyo was silly because of its limited range, cumbersome weight, slow reload speed, and less lethal effect. Even if someone came at you looping two brand new Raiders, as soon as one clunked you in the head and hurt a little, the weapon is useless until they can sit there and wind them both back up. Theyā€™d be dead 10 times over against my pointy stick.

People have used rocks attached to rope as hunting devices. Whether thatā€™s a yoyo or not ā€¦ meh?

What Iā€™m more interested in is who is going to win in the duel I see abrew - stookie with a pointy stick, or studio perched up in a tree with a big rock on a string? Most importantly though - is anyone willing to volunteer to record it and put it on youtube?

I just pictured the fight and lolā€™d. I walk up alone in a quiet forest. Studio drops a rock on a rope while perched in a tree, missing me and plunking against the ground. I then throw my stick up toward him, hitting a branch and landing 20 feet away. So ends the first prehistoric duel.

ā€¦and JRod sitting higher up in that tree, chucking coconuts down on both of them, egging them on! ;D

This little war I just read made my night!

Yoyo as weapon,
I still do not know for sure,
Thread hijack over.

1 Like

That wasā€¦ beautiful :ā€™(

Iā€™ve never bought into the ā€œway of lifeā€ talk when it comes to yoyoing. It always put me off, and just seems silly. It always felt like a lame attempt to create a sub-culture like ā€œgamersā€ or something. Sure there is a sub-culture of yoyoers but my problem is when people get all excited and start defining themselves as a yoyoer or ā€œthrowerā€ if you want. Same goes for the poetics that are thrown around every so often when it comes to the ā€œtoy not a toyā€ debate. Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m all for poetics, but there is a point where it tips over into the cliche and it just sounds silly. Is a yoyo a toy? Of course. Is it something more than a toy? I think we need to ask ourselves what the heck kind of question that is, because the question itself is flawed

Really all we are doing is questioning what the definition of ā€œtoyā€ is. Can a toy bring someone out of a sad spell? Sure it can. Can it allow us to be creative? Yup yup yup. Can it allow us to escape? Of course it can. Can it be meaningful to us in some way? Yes! Actually, thatā€™s the whole point of toys is to do all of those things. Mixing in flowery language and poetics and talk of the ā€œcorporate worldā€ doesnā€™t make it anything more than a toy, and thatā€™s fine.

Just a disclaimer, the ā€œsad spellā€ wasnā€™t a jab at Studio42ā€™s story. Iā€™ve struggled with depression and the importance of finding hobbies cannot be emphasized enough.

That is your opinion, and that is fine, I respect it, but I must disagree completely.
:wink:

J

damn J digging deep with these posts ā€¦

love it!!!

I am the deep foxy.

J

Spoken Word finds its way in all facets of life, yoyoing included. Thats a good piece man. Keep it up :slight_smile:

Wow. Jayyo that was absolute beautiful piece of work. I loved it. You know an artist would say that the brush is an extension of himself/ herself and thier creativity and art. Even though itā€™s still a brush, it is a tool that allows a persons dreams, nightmares, thoughts and feelings to come to fruition on paper, movies, and even writing. The yoyo for me maybe a toy but it is my tool to express my art and creativity to the world an therefore it is an extention of me. Good job.

I feel like if 4chan or like some highschool jocks got a hold of this it would be the best day of their lives. Theyā€™d have a ball. :smiley:

edit: you know how they can be so donā€™t take offense to that. Just joking.

well, we never said they were GOOD weapons.