Is wood still good in 2018?

You can stop now. If you don’t understand that metal or anything with “weight rings” can’t be made as light as wood or plastic to facilitate the feel that some people like for stalls and regens, then you’re missing the point.

1 Like

I dunno, the RD1 is still pretty light overall.

1 Like

I’m glad you’ve found something you like. I bet the RD1 could be pretty good for stalls and regens. Make’s me wish I had one!

1 Like

Yes, light for a yoyo with a bearing and weight rings.

1 Like

This thread was actually making me interested in digging out an RD1 and seeing what I thought of it for some of the newer school responsive stall/etc tricks.

1 Like

I received these last week, and they are all fantastic!

I’ve spent the most time with the Orphan for FA Feb, but I’ve played with the Peon and more so the Wood Boy a good bit.

The Wood Boy and Peon are not nearly as limiting as I had anticipated. I don’t imagine they are what I’d grab to work on a new long trick, but I can get through anything I know with them. Obviously they aren’t as stable as a competition Metal, but they respond really well to adjustments on the string.

I actually find the vibe they have to be pleasing, and it’s surprisingly minimal.

The Orphan is really nice! It regens, stalls, moons, and even loops really well. It also spins long. Backhand balance it not easy with it though!

ATM, wood is so good in 2018, that I haven’t spent much time with anything else.

5 Likes

I really like my ART Orphan too. Its got a really smooth and powerful throw and return feel.

Never played one of their wooden unresponsives, but I plan to make one of my own today out of purpleheart and tasmanian oak.

1 Like

^ Can’t wait to see a pic!

1 Like

I would post a pic, but the app isn’t letting me anymore and It’s too hard to do it in web view.

1 Like

Nice collection!

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I went from no A-RT, to an A-RT collection! :smiley:

1 Like

RD1 is great. Honestly, just as fun as AlleyCat, Deep State or anything else for those kinds of tricks. Tom didn’t even know how ahead of its time it was lol

1 Like

Made my own wooden unresponsive yoyo today, using YoyoJoker EX response system.

It’s made of purpleheart and sugar maple. It is approximately 56mm in diameter, weighs 65g and is 39mm wide.

Play great and is pretty smooth.

New photo by Glen Kempster

3 Likes

^It looks great! :o

1 Like

Wow, that looks fantastic! Nice work!

1 Like

Looks amazing!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on that Garrett. Didn’t know that one.

1 Like

Awesome job, Glenacius K!

1 Like

This post is mostly just a test to see if I can get my image to work now.

Here is the yoyo finished with beeswax.

1 Like

Wow! That may be the nicest bearing wooden yoyo I’ve ever seen.

1 Like