Is this not the most beautiful yoyoing ever?

This is the type of yoyoing I like to see… It’s sad that stuff like this doesn’t win contest.

20 Likes

That doesn’t win contests? It displays an incredible skill level!

2 Likes

Nah apparently if you don’t do horizontal you have no shot :joy:

4 Likes

I agree I do really enjoy this style. I feel like this play style is capable of doing well in contests to an extent. I’m definitely no official judge, but I could see why it might rank lower on technical execution points. It is a bit unfortunate how heavily weighted most scoring is towards that category. But I also can’t figure out a better way to score it fairly. Some sort of “Gracefulness/Ease of execution” would be an interesting column on the score sheet though. He makes it look so effortless it’s mind blowing.

4 Likes

I wish each judge gave each performance a rating of 1-10 and they took the average for final score and it was less about how many strings you can hit as fast as you can. Just my opinion. Wish judging was more like skateboarding

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say that…

Horizontal is neither necessary nor sufficient to do well in a contest.

I do think it’s worth noting that horizontal is not only for the elite competition guys. I have seen beautiful horizontal flow as well. Just like vertical yoyoing, it can be whatever you want it to.

I wish more people would learn it.

2 Likes

I just started learning horizontal…Any tips for a horizontal noob?

2 Likes

Yet another note (haha)

Competition yoyoing can be beautiful too. It has a lot to do with music choice.

I’d like to see Gentry make a routine with the idea of beauty in mind. I know he usually goes for the fast paced/exhilarating vibe, which is what most people seem to do this days. But he usually takes it to another level with his performance chops.

But he has more stage presence/music composition effort than most other yoyoers put together. He usually puts a LOT of work into remixing and composing his music.

I know he could make a very beautiful performance if that’s what he wanted to do.

6 Likes

yeah I’ve watched this performance from Zach many times. One of my all time favorite yoyoers

2 Likes

Can you link some of your fav horizontal performances

1 Like

YES!! I’m so happy!

Message me any time you want, and I’ll help you however I can.

1 Like

I will be hitting you up soon! I want to compete in at least one contest

1 Like

That’s a good video. I don’t know if it’s sad that wouldn’t win though. I thought a-rt’s whole thing was yoyoing as an art form, not focusing on competition. Contest throwing is it’s own thing, just like competition Street skating vs real fence jumping street skating. How The Yoyo Scoring System Works - YouTube This video is helpful in understanding why yoyo competition is the way it is. They gotta try to find a way to remove the subjectivity from judging a subjective subject :joy:.
Speaking of tricks that wouldn’t score well in competition, here Is my all time favorite yoyo video Luke Reinert - Spooky Feels Halloween - YouTube

7 Likes

Awesome dude!
I’ve never really competed seriously, but I have gotten on stage a few times. It’s an experience I think everyone should have at least once.

2 Likes

I think anyone that can throw should have a chance to win as long as its good enough… Not just a “competitive style”. Just my opinion though. Like just look at jensens 2011 worlds performance… One of my fav ever and didn’t do that well.

1 Like

I’ve been working on a lot of comp yoyo tricks lately… I just learned this today and landed it cleannnnnn

2 Likes

this is my fav performance from worlds 2019 So beautiful and barley had any horizontal but the horizontal that it did include was so sick

I also really enjoyed evans

1 Like

Winning contests is not the ultimate end goal of yoyoing. It’s ok i stuff you like is not contest-friendly.

Also yeah, a style like this which emphasizes on smoothness and transitions is widely loved by most. One of the many forms of yoyo that exist.

6 Likes

Oh I know it’s not. I’m just saying would be cool to see more stuff like this win contest

It may not win contests but it’s still very amazing.

1 Like