Inspiration to start

Today marks a year since I picked up my first yoyo. But what lead me there?

As a performer/flow artist that’s been at it since 2003, I have a wide range of props. And like all subjects to study - a little homework helps. I like to get inspiration from Cirque du Soleil shows. Seen plenty of them live and even more on video. Last year they did a special one time showing of a touring show, Kurious. The act featuring the yoyos did it for me. When he started looping those copper throws, they look like fire :fire:! I was hooked. Picked up my first yoyo the next day(still was a while till I got to unresponsive).

It was Black. Totally his fault😁.

So what brought you here?

8 Likes

my friend Jake got me into yoyos the very first time i saw him do tricks i wanted to learn maybe a year later (give or take) he bought me an N12 Shark’s Honor and from the very first throw i just couldn’t put it down i only knew how to bind but binding was actually a ton of fun for me then later i learned Ripcord (fronstyle version) and then it became more fun

we video called a lot and the entire call i’d just be doing Ripcord then maybe around a month later (again give or take) i learned some other stuff too like the Brain Twister stuff then i learned the Trapeze and went on from there now Jake and i video call at least twice a week and yoyo for HOURS we’ve talked and yoyoed and stuff for 3 hours once if it weren’t for Jake i wouldn’t have ever discovered yoyos and i am so grateful Jake is my friend i don’t know what i’d do without him he’s influenced me so darn much in the past and i hope he does in the future thanks Jake
here the link to his Youtube channel and Instagram:

11 Likes

Posting a pic of my first years collection after work today.
I haven’t kept count but I feel like there may be 24+ throws. Don’t tell my wife…

5 Likes

lol cool!

3 Likes

Dazzling Dave yoyo show at my middle school got me into responsive.
Local toy store called Air Traffic got me started on unresponsive

5 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!! I smiled through the whole video!!!

4 Likes

someone re-create this combo please

2 Likes

Dylan Kowalski’s YouTube videos got me interested in yoyo. That was a year ago and I’m still obsessed :crazy_face:

5 Likes

This video was amazing!!

Do you have a youtube account or anything? I’d love to see some of your fire performances!!

It’s so nice to see how much respect and admiration you have for @JWaugh!

I don’t have a cool story to go along with why I picked yoing back up lol. I saw a red/white Duncan Pro Z at walmart one day…it flooded me with nostalgia, and here I am 6 months later.
So inspirational! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

i have MUCH respect for Jake and you should too! he’s a really great guy SUPER good yoyoer as well

3 Likes

I do! :smiley: For being as young as he is, his skills amaze me! He’s freaking awesome!!

2 Likes

In terms of videos this was the one that got me in

6 Likes

How long have you been throwing @andy569?

2 Likes

I started 7 years ago. I played A LOT the first year or two, it’s kinda been on and off since then

2 Likes

In December 2017 I found a Duncan Imperial and a NED yoyo laying on the floor mixed in among some of my daughters’ toys. These yoyos caught my attention since my daughters were only 1 and 3 years old at the time. I played with an Imperial as a kid in the 70s, but I never progressed beyond learning gravity pull (with my finger just stuck straight into the loop of the string). So when I saw those yoyos on the floor, I decided I would learn a couple of tricks that I could show my daughters. I googled “yoyo tricks” and quickly relearned gravity pull and then learned to make a yoyo sleep for the first time. That same day I saw video of unresponsive yoyoing for the first time. My mind was blown! I was mesmerized by the tricks I saw people doing and I decided right away that I had to learn how to play with an unresponsive yoyo. I’ve thrown every day since and I feel just as inspired today as I did on that first day.

4 Likes

my Sunday shcool teacher showed me and my friend rock the baby then I kinda got into then I stoped and then I one day sew Gentrys 2014 worlds performance and that got me hooked

4 Likes

I have no idea how but YouTube’s algorithm suddenly decided to put Hajime’s 2017 4A AP finals video into my playlist.

3 Likes

A very recent performance. Also happens to be where my Halloween contest photo is from.

1 Like

Year one!
Not including a fair number of imperials and whips I’ve been giving away to people that show interest.

3 Likes

in terms of trick potential @docpop and his glass lab experiment #4 was the one for me (along with ken’s world on a string and all of sector_y on a more how-to level).

and i would not be the player i am by half if @unklesteve hadn’t made it seem rad and a little edgy - like something an aging skater could throw himself into and save his knees (if not his wrists).

same time it was really tom kuhn whom i credit with helping me realize that yo-yoing is as much a spiritual deal as about the performance/execution of tricks. that’s been essential to me.

7 Likes