In need of tips for "String Fountain" (string injection trick)

Hi all,

I saw Rei’s “String Fountain” trick on social media yesterday and decided to give it a try. The mount is pretty simple, as you start in a trapeze, then wrap the string around your TH thumb and pointer and then drop the yoyo onto the ‘cradle’ that you made with the string around your TH. After that, pretty much all that’s left is to perform the string injection.

I understand the concept of string injection, but this is my first time trying to learn how to do it as part of a trick. I can tell Rei does some subtle stuff with his TH thumb and NTH to get the injection going, but that’s where I’m having trouble. I’ve tried it on a handful of yoyos and different string types, in hopes that I’d find a good combination that helps me achieve the injection consistently. While I have been able to get a few ‘baby injections’, at this point it feels more like luck than skill on my part.

Even though I understand what needs to happen for the injection to succeed, I don’t think that I necessarily understand when the setup is going to work or not. In the video, they have a still where they say that the base of the hanging string is NOT on the bearing (NG), which sounds like this is the ‘bad’ position where the injection won’t work. That’s followed by a still showing the hanging string ON the bearing (OK), and that’s the ‘good’ position that will allow the injection to take place.

Does anyone have any tips for this or a different explanation of the good vs. bad setup for the injection? I’m thinking that I don’t fully understand what they’re trying to convey with the good/bad comparison, and maybe I’d understand the situation better with a different description.

Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

So when you drop the string to set up the injection, don’t throw it too far to the left like it’s going to want to move to the right on it’s own and then it’s possible to push it into the pads with the thumb. The part of the string that’s different between the two stills is the part closest to the bearing. I don’t have this or any other injections super consistent bc it seemed too annoying to get there like lots of finesse to get it always looking crazy like that but I learned this Diego B trick at one point and that has some good info. One tip I really like is to throw it at a slight angle so leaning towards yourself bc when you push into the wall, it will start to tilt the other way.

Here’s another trick, and then another slightly more in depth tutorial:

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses! I think the part about requiring some finesse to get it looking crazy is very true for me, at least at this stage of the learning process. I’ve started to pay more attention to the string layout before attempting the injection, and have been getting slightly better at it. So far, I’ve only gotten one full-blown injection as shown in the original video, but I’m really pleased that I’ve gotten that far with it. I’m going to check out those other videos now…

1 Like

Okay so I worked on this trick a lot more than I thought I would and realized a couple things. This might be one of the like three Yoyo tricks where gear matters or can help figure out the trick better at first. I had the most success in getting the string to launch out with flat bearings, probably because it’s easier for the string to hit the response like that. It’s also harder with flats because you’re adding a bit of tilt and it tilts off quicker like that. Also I had the most success with a fresh nylon string but I can only speculate as to why. It seems like the fatness of the string really matters like if it’s too thin, it’s harder to push into the response and it tilts pretty quick. Strings too fat get too smooshed up and don’t have the space to shoot out or like gets stuck or something.

This trick is kind of an anomaly bc it’s just weird. I maintain that is trick just needs a ton of finesse to get that slack to shoot up like that. Also how deep into the chopsticks the Yoyo sits affects where exactly the string hits the gap and the angle the string will shoot out at. Good luck! Let us know what’s working for you bc this would be a cool trick for me to figure out better like probably would blow the non yoyoers minds

2 Likes

I seen this trick yesterday and it looked so cool. I was kinda reluctant to try it thinking that it would be harder than he made it look.

1 Like

Yeah, the more that I experiment with it the more I agree with that assessment! Firstly, you’ve got to get the slack string hanging just right for anything to happen. There are times when it seems like it’s too high, like it’s draped over the other strings so that it won’t hit the response pad when you push it. If I’m right, that’s when Rei pulls the slack down with his NTH, as that would pull it down into position next to the response pad. He might be holding onto the slack also as a way to better control when the injection starts. IOW, the NTH could be pulling the slack into position next to the response, then his TH thumb pushes the slack into the response pad, then he lets go of the slack with his NTH and the injection occurs.

Overall, I’ve been slowly getting more comfortable with the setup so that I have a better idea of whether the injection will work or not. But I’ve still got a ways to go because I’m still experimenting with that part. There have been times when I do the same thing that I have been doing and it shoots up in the air like silly string, which is exactly what I’m after. But most of the time the slack doesn’t remain in contact with the response pad for long enough and the injection starts off pretty well but dies out quickly, without shooting the entire length of the slack.

I think that your tip about having the yoyo tilted towards you slightly was also a useful one, as it seems to help prevent the yoyo from tilting too much in the chopsticks mount when I’m trying to start the injection. I’ll have to try it with a nylon string on a flat bearing, as it sounds like you had better luck that way. I’ve tried it on a couple of dozen different yoyos and my success percentage is a lot higher on some of them than others. I don’t know if it’s due to the zipline string, or the Heaven Sent Creep, but that’s a combo that I’m pretty consistent with so far.

2 Likes