Ilinx toys - Making yoyo theory accessible to all

Hi everyone! I’m Ross and I’m the founder of ilinx toys, you may have seen me on Instagram (@Modern_yoyos) where I’ve been known to post videos that blur the line between yoyo and the flow arts. I do design yoyos, and I’ll announce some designs soon, but my real obsession is theory.

I’ve been a magician all my life, and what you might not know about magicians is that they’re really researchers. There are entire libraries filled with nothing magic books on all kinds of different tricks as well as the theory that makes those tricks work. In the magic community, researching theory is the expectation, and I think that the yoyo community has a lot to learn from this.

In order to do my part, I recently started a podcast called Kill Your Yoyo where I have conversations with the best yoyoers of our time (like Coffin from OhYesYo, Markmont, Chris Chunn, and Luna Harran @Thesonicpineapple) to find out their thoughts on yoyo improvisation, theory and performance. I tend to have a bit of an anti-competition bias, but only because I think that there’s so much information about competitions out there and yoyoing can be so much more than that!

After each interview, I write up an essay on one stand-out point from the episode on my blog. That way, you can get a little slice of the episode if you don’t have time to listen to the whole thing.

This is a project that I’ve been wanting to take on for years and as a content producer and yoyoer, I’m finally ready to take on the challenge. If you want to support my work, then the best thing you can do is subscribe to the podcast, listen to the episodes as they come out every other week (Anthony Rojas is our next guest), and tell your friends! I can’t wait to grow our yoyo knowledge together.

27 Likes

this is perfect man, Ive been looking for more yoyo podcast

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve listen at the Coffin and Luna episodes. Love your podcasts. The fact that you can actually watch them on Instagram is a plus.

You have my full support on this. Competition is a small part of the yoyo art.

8 Likes

So good to hear that my people are out there :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for the support!

2 Likes

So was I! I liked the ones that were out there, but then I became a fan of a great podcast called “Discourse in Magic” by Jonah Babins and knew that yoyoing needed something with that theory-based, conversational and time un-restricted format.

3 Likes

Subscribed. Listened to much of the one with Luna and now checking out the one with Markmont. Have to stop and comment that so far I love it.

Mark making an analogy between working with modular synth and applying yoyo tricks as filters is my kind of stuff. :raised_hands: so good

Also, finding the double GT from red triangle based on Luna’s description, alone (no visual) was fun.

Definitely checking for the Anthony Rojas episode when it comes out. Salute!

2 Likes

Thanks so much, and I’m glad you dig it. Keep an eye out, lots of guests I’m super excited about coming up.

2 Likes

Also check my insta for the recorded version if you want to learn Luna’s GT. @Modern_yoyos

2 Likes