If someone were to....

I don’t know if this is the right section to post this or not, so sorry if it isn’t.

I was wondering what some good steps are to creating a yoyo company. l am curious, and if anyone else was, I thought this would be a good place to post the question. I am wondering how all of you guys started your company, and if you had any tips or suggestions. What someone needs before they start, how to keep the company going, how to raise funds, how to advertise, where to get the throws machine, logos…things such as these.

Thank you all in advance.

To quote myself on another similar thread:

So yeh, I think the biggest thing is having the money to get it all off the ground, otherwise you’ll have difficulty making it past an initial run.

Also, as Apple have proved, marketing is very important. There are hundreds upon hundreds of yoyos out there, what makes yours different? Why should people buy from you instead of another company? You need to get your approach on point in order to get good business.

A trailer video is always a good idea as well. Look at the recent Prestige trailer, it’s great for getting you noticed.

Bump.

I imagine you could get Onedrop to machine your throws. Raising the funds would take some time, but could pay you back in the long run. Something I’ve learned from companies is pull up ALL the hype you can. HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE, get EVERYONE wanting one.

It’s called “marketing”. :wink:

But yeah, don’t pull up the hype too early (looking at you, Deadly SpINS… even though I’mma prolly still buy your yoyos… :wink: )

Your questions can’t really be answered in a forum post. There is no “formula” per se for how to start any business, let alone a yoyo company.

There are plenty of resources online about the basics of starting a business. Stuff like finance, business plan, licensing, marketing, etc.

I will say that without a background in manufacturing and design that this is going to be a much tougher road than most think. We help out a lot of yoyo startups and there are little bits of knowledge that are required that most don’t have. For example, do you know how to specify tolerances to your machine shop on your design? Do you understand just how small .0001" is and how that relates to making a yoyo? Do you understand the limitations of CNC machining as it relates to your design? Etc.

Making yoyos is really difficult. The tolerances and the customer expectations for smoothness are really high.

I’ll give you the single best piece of advice that I have learned from owning a business for 13 years:

Everything costs more and takes longer than you think it will. This might as well be a universal law of business.

2 Likes