I think I asked this before but I forgot who said what

Hey guys,

I know I asked this before and the answer I got was suction cups. Question was, how to remove caps from YYJ? And the answer I got was suction cups. Any clues to where I can buy them? Also is there an alternative method for removing them? Really would help if you can tell me where I can buy them.

Also, a question about cleaning bearings. Normally I don’t clean bearings, I just use them until either they stop working or sometimes I send them back and get new ones/buy new ones. Since I have been playing more, I notice more bearing getting louder/dirties/etc and really want to clean them the proper way. I have : environment friendly odorless Mineral Spirits, and I have tried to clean my bearing in it and I really don’t think its cleaning it. The liquid is not clear, its white (like milk). Anyways, what would you guys suggest I use? I know the other thing to use is lighter fluid, recommend any name brands? I would like to hear from someone who used both Mineral Spirits and Lighter Fluid and recommend one over the other, and a common brand would be helpful.

Thanks 8)

Suction cups don’t work well for most of the newer YYJ caps. I had to drill a hole into my caps and pry them out. Make sure not not drill straight into the center, as the Solid Spin System is there. (I drilled into the side of mine on accident. It plays fine though)

also, I heard Acetone works really well, because it evaporates so fast. Listen to some other advice on this first though, as I have never tried acetone

1 Like

Nerf darts. YYJ thin lube. I usually just blow my bearings out with compressed air and put YYJ thick lube. After that I never touch it again.

1 Like

i actually went to best buy to get this little cans of compressed air, but all they had was compressed gas, which is some form of liquid … so i didn’t get it. I think kids enhale compressed air, so now its some sort of chemical… ??? and not actual air

Compressed air is also called duster cleaners, or something like that. They are in cans with little straws stick out that you shoot the air out of.

i got mine at home depot

1 Like

ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, almost every hardware store has suction cups.

I found mine on an outdated calendar.

Do you have a shower rack? Usually shower racks have suction cups too.

As for the other methods, I am not so sure, but make sure to use the search button!

Try to check the other forums too; I’m sure that they also have some information you’re looking for.

1 Like

For the caps, I kinda got some putty, like the wall putty and stuck it as much as I could and popped off the caps. Worked quite well without damaging the caps!

1 Like

Duct tape should work too. Just fold it around so it’s double sided, and place it on the cap, and pull it out. That probably won’t work for the newer ones, so you’ll just have to use a knife to cut it open, and then remove the caps. That would destroy the caps though, but that could be the only way to do it.

1 Like

yeah I pretty much had to destroy my caps with a knife on my DM2. For cleaning a bearing I find mineral spirits works well, and I’m not sure what it is you have that’s sorta milky and stuff but mine are clear and in order to clean them you want to first de-shield them (I just leave the shields off cause they’re not worth the hassle), then put the mineral spirits in a glass jar along with the bearing(s) that you want to clean, then swish it around for a few minutes, and when you take em’ out just like everyone else said use your can of compressed air stuff and dry them as quick as possible. as far as lubing goes some people prefer a dry bearing but I find I don’t have to clean them as often if I use just a tiny drop of thin lube. In order to get just a small drop use the tip of a needle or something.

I hope that helped, and man I feel like studio42 here.

1 Like

Those nerf darts do not work well at all. the suction cups are too weak. What you need to do is go to Wal-mart or a similar place, and in the Home decorating section you should be able to find like regular thumbtacks, in that same area you should be able to find these wall hook things. they are a suction cup with a hook on them for hanging stuff on the wall, they are pretty good size so you get a nice good suction. all you have to do is take the hook off, and you dont really even HAVE to do that. Go check it out. thats what i used.
About the cleaning liquids. I’ve used both, and honestly between mineral spirits and lighter fluid… They are pretty much equivalent. I used to always prefer Lighter fluid, (brand name RONSONOL in a yellow bottle) but i realized that lighter fluid and mineral spirits yield almost the same exact results. The plus is that mineral spirits are ALOT cheaper. Like 7 bucks for a gallon. Where the Ronsonol lighter fluid is like 7 bucks for a pint or less. Stick with the mineral spirits, its your best bet!
Hope i was helpful!!

1 Like