I noticed something.

He’s saying we’re supposed to be noticing the blank of recent bearings, not the smack the face event I have no idea about.

I dunno about you, but I don’t find much difference between lubed and dry, aside from sound. I lightly lube of course, tiny, tiny little drop.

i use exactly one drop of thin lube in my bearings. it keeps them unresponsive enough but it can get responsive when i want it to. I don’t have any of these “gritty bearing” problems that i have seen people having lately. it’s a matter of just taking care of the bearing and not over lubing them. My bearings all have their shields still in with the exception of my KK bearing in my genesis which came with one shield out when i bought the yoyo from my friend.

Interesting topic to discuss.
i think people just cant stand ‘breaking in’ period. They want the yoyo to be unresponsive right away. Same go for cleaning.
manufacturer just go by trend.

i do believe that metal againts metal without any protection from lube wont be good.

yes.

I like bone dry bearings, but that could be because I’m using a terrapin treated bearing.

For me it all depends on how the throw plays. I have some of my throws lubed and some dry. I’m odd like that I guess :smiley:

Ugh…chronic tug responsive-ness is killing me right now…

Looks like I have to do some thread cleaning when I get home.

Stay on topic please.

Took care of my end, I advise Ben, Gizzyo, and M888 to do the same. Icthus doesn’t need to sweep up our crap. This post will also be deleted once the rest gets cleaned up.

Did, and will do the same.

Yo so I have been looking at your thread, and I am curious. Do you think that the connection to bearing problem is due to problems in the bearings, or is it that people do not have a decent handle on how to throw. Like with Archery stuff some people get old school bowes that are just the pull back and shoot, and don’t be a whiner. Then some buy state of the art cool bows that can adjust in hundreds of different ways. After adjusting for “errors” the bow starts really misfiring. Is it the bearings, or are people just “fixing” them to much.

Hrmmm, I have never thought of it that way Jim, and I suppose it -is- possible to over clean and without making sure all of the solvent is dried and removed, you will leave behind a residue, maybe this residue is the key to the people whining about gritty and loud bearings. So since they assume the bearing is dirty still they clean it again still do a less than satisfactory job at it and it just perpetuates the entire process.

Well that, or other stuff. Applying sili especially if you do it wrong can add response atleast until you break it in. There are so many different things that are said to be cleaning agents. Way way back I was told that soaking a bearing overnight in rubbing alcohol was good for the bearing. Trial and error has told me otherwise. But my point of interest is seeing a post that says my yoyo was amazing, and then I threw it, and it got loud and crazy. Is there a back story like it went of into a pile of dirt, or does it just need one tiny drop of lube and some extra throws to break it in. It seems like yoyo matinence is something of a redneck mechanic art. Like a tv with rabit ears (oddly died at the same time) some times you just gotta work through the trouble spots, and whack it the one side just right. Maybe we would do well to work through a spot or two instead of stripping down every piece every time a yoyo doesn’t hum just right. That’s been my better experimenting. Sometimes it just works itself out.