I need help as a returning player

Hello, newcomer here. I wanted to get back into yoyoing after ten years of break. Back then we only had auldey’s blazing teen yoyos and some top models such as L3, Virus, Luminous etc. Couldn’t afford those as a kid but now I’m thinking to get one for myself for the new year.
I don’t have many options to choose from. We still have auldey’s luminous available, and some intermediate models. But I saw a brand called MagicYoYo for the first time.
But before I get any recommendations, I want to specify the yoyo I’d like to get.
I want an unresponsive, metal yoyo which will play good in styles of 1a, 3a and 5a(not that I know how to play these other 2 styles other than 1a I just don’t want to spend money on a specialized yoyo in the future), also if possible and don’t have cons on the play of the yoyo itself, I want it to have hubstacks just because I think they look very nice and open up a gate for other moves that I want to do. I hope I made myself clear and I am open to recommendations up to 40$ or 300 Turkish Liras.
Thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Welcome back to Yoyo. There are a bunch of good options with Magicyoyo if that is the brand you are set on or if that is all you are able to purchase in your region. The newest Magicyoyo is the Y0-3 Hertz.

It’s competition size and a great yoyo that I really love. Not too heavy, not too light. Very comfortable. In your price range are also the MYY Hotdiggidy, Node, and N12 Sharks Honor. There are also budget-oriented bi-metals made by MYY that are close to your price range.

8 Likes

Thank you!
I’m not set on a specific brand to be honest. And if the shipping is available to my region, I’m willing to buy via someone from the forum or from the websites that are available.
I’ll be digging into the brands and models that you refer and will let you guys know if I decide what to go for. Thank you for your answer again. It was heartwarming! :blush:

2 Likes

Sounds like a skyline would be a good place to start for you. Slightly undersized by today’s standard, but probably more what you were accustomed to if you’ve been out of the game awhile.

8 Likes

Not sure how popular my reccomendation will be but here goes. I recently bought three yoyo’s from china (aliexpress) from the brand “Yoyo appartment”. I have been throwing them for a few months now and am still amazed by their price and performance. From the three I bought I like the “general sword” the best, but I think I would not recommend it for anything other then 1A and also only to someone who knows how to play somewhat decently. The “Sos” or “rattlenake” were to other two and of those two pricewise I would say go with the “Sos”. The bearing you get is really good and you also get a second bearing. Also some other stuff I personally don’t use. All this for the price of 14$. Unbeatable price/performance.

To add. They don’t have hubstacks like you pointed out. But still highly recommend them. And welcome back :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you all for your advices, I was going to order YYF Skyline but the shipping rates to Turkey is just too much, so I’ve decided to buy a magicyoyo from Turkey. My options are ;
MagicYoYo N9 Floating
MagicYoYo T5
MagicYoYo K1 Spin Abs
Auldey Luminous
Achilles Note
BeBoo L1
I know some of you haven’t heard of some brands on the list but these are the ones that are available for now. I’ll try to find some more options and when I do I will continue to add them on the list until I buy one. Thank you guys for your help and time again I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

I like the Beboo L1 for the price. It’s a great player and would be more then anything you’d ever really need in a yoyo. It’s cheap, plays well and looks great!
It doesn’t have hubstacks like you’re wanting though.

4 Likes

Well hubstacks or zstacks were just an option which wasn’t quite necessary and I can’t seem to find one with hubstacks in my region. I guess I’ll just choose one without hubstacks. Adding L1 to my list. Any other suggestions other than that?

1 Like

I would try to look at other online places if the shipping rate is to high

1 Like

Duncan barracuda for sure

If you’re going without hubstacks, it’s hard to beat Magicyoyo for the money. The Focus is right at your price point (albeit excluding shipping) and it’s a bimetal yoyo. If what you’re used to are yoyos from 10 years ago, the bimetal yoyos today will blow your socks off.

1 Like

Now that I’ve checked, aliexpress has some good deals but since it’s aliexpress I have doubts about authenticity. What do you guys think?
Edit: OK, I have no more doubts about authenticity and as I said aliexpress has really great deals on magicyoyo so I think I’ve made up my mind set on those for stepping in the game again. Couldn’t find any y03 tho. Only Y01s. But other than that, I can get my hands on to other models as well.
Edit2: I’ve decided to buy y01 node as my first yoyo. Thanks for all the help and patience you’ve putted on this topic. :blush:

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the node I had, it should be a great throw, and I always felt it moved lighter on the string than it actually was. Anyway, have fun! :grinning::yo-yo:

Fun throw.

Heck yeah man! The Node is an amazing yoyo!

1 Like

I was stupified by my L1. They do a horoscope yo-yo too. Both when paired with a decent bearing are a v and o shape that would rival $60-80 of throws.
Got the node too, I prefer the April for stability and spin times. It might be the colour I don’t like :pensive: but so many options for you dude.
Have fun whatever you do

If you learn to fingerspin on an L1 you can fingerspin anything!

The Node is a great choice! It almost certainly won’t be the limiting factor in your learning new tricks.

3 Likes