I am very sad

I was going to go to D.C. this morning with my uncle, grandma, and brother. My uncle has a plane so he was going to fly us there but yesterday his plane got engine problems somehow and now I can not go. :pensive::sob::tired_face:

3 Likes

If youā€™re all together donā€™t let the day go to waste. Think of something fun for your family to do. Sometimes a sudden change of plans can lead to things greater than were planned.

5 Likes

Think it this way: glad it happened while you were not in the air :wink:

As @ChrisFrancz said, take advantage of the time if you are all together.

6 Likes

Well I am going to Dave and bustersā€¦:smirk:

2 Likes

Better to have engine problems the day before than while youā€™re in the air. :wink:

3 Likes

Be happy

Half emptyā€¦ Half fullā€¦ No full and overflowing
I would be very happy that your uncle has a respectful relationship with his aircraft mechanic, or it could be sad day for us on the forum for a different reason.
If you can do something nice for you uncle the pilot and the mechanic with their collective knowledge and respect for aviation and each other they may have saved your life. If they are all the same person it will be an inexpensive lunch.

In the private aviation industry the mechanic, pilot, owner relationship is the most important relationship to ensure safety.

So be happy

3 Likes

You know what would have been much sadder?

If you were posting right now from your uncles plane and saying something like, ā€˜Hey guys, I am on my uncles plane right now. We are having serious engine problems right now, and we donā€™t even have parachutes.ā€™

ā€¦ā€¦That, would also be very sad news, ya think?

Count your blessings kidā€¦

7 Likes

Iā€™m an old aviator and no longer fly.

As the old saying goes, ā€œIt is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the groundā€.

8 Likes

(Warning: if you donā€™t like stories, stop here)

Kinda late update, but just for future reference about why to not be sad when engine problems cancel a trip.

One of my best friends had a Pilots license when he was 17. Still in High School, he would ask a girl out to lunch and then go to the local airport and fly her to Catalina ā€˜for lunchā€™. <> Not many High School students could pull that off, lol.

He stacked up countless hours over the years, flying all over the place.

He became a exceptional Veterinarian over time. He would fly all over the map, giving presentations and sharing methods and discoveries with other Vetsā€¦

In 2018, he and three others, boarded a 6 passenger plane to San Diego, to attend a Veterinary Conference. My friend almost never was a passenger on any small craft. But, he decided to sit in the back and go for the ride, knowing his associate was also an Excellent Pilot.

After the Conference, they again boarded the plane to return to the South Bay. Pretty much right after takeoff as they were just gaining altitude, they had what is called, ā€˜Catastrophic Engine Failureā€™.(That basically means there is no miracle that would/could get the engine going again).

They hadnā€™t gained enough speed or altitude to have much time to decide what to do. With 2 of the 4 people on board being very experienced Pilots, no doubt they did some quick decision making in a few precious moments.

Coming up into view was a field, that although not as long as they would have liked, seemed the only option as they lost altitude. Smacking down pretty hard, the landing gear folded and the plane slid across the field. At the edge of the field was a cyclone fence. The plane slammed right through the fence, across a yard and collided with a small building. The plane ignited on impact. The 2 people in front jumped out just as the plane burst into flames. My friend and his buddy burned to death.

I donā€™t think it really mattered which of the pilots was at the controls. When the engine ā€˜diesā€™ you donā€™t have much time ā€˜leftā€™.

Itā€™s been 4 years now, and it feels like it happened yesterday. He was only 46. He had the World on a string. His own Business, 6 Doctors working for him, customers coming from many miles away, a wife, 4 kids, a beautiful home, you name it. He helped out all the pet rescue groups in the area and Always found time to help others.

Some of you that might have read this far, probably wonder whatā€™s the point?

Good question.

Iā€™m just sharing this sad story because the OP said he was very sad about missing his plane ride because of ā€˜engine problemsā€™.

There is an old saying, ā€˜To a certain extent, man is the master of his own destinyā€™.

But, then sometimes you draw the lucky straw and your disappointment overshadows the possibility of just how lucky you might have been because that planesā€™ engine trouble was discovered before boarding that plane.

Sometimes lucky is better than being good.

My friend was very, very good. But he ran out of luck.

7 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. Thatā€™s a very tragic story. Planes in general are scary. I can barely imagine how people on that flight felt when the engine failed.

1 Like

ā€œNever Say Dieā€, The Barefoot Bandit Lives~