How to put together wood yoyo

I think im going to try to make a wooded yo-yo.
Do I just use regular wood glue to put it together?

1 Like

I’ve seen people using two part epoxy.

3 Likes

It really depends on the type of yoyo you’re making and what you prefer. If you never want to take it apart again, epoxy works but wood glue is more than strong enough. Some folks just use a friction fit and that’s enough. Many old wooden yoyos used friction fit or just a dab of glue on the very end of the axle.

CA (super glue) and wood glue are both great options, especially starting out. I personally would avoid epoxy until you’re confident (and consistent) with making them and are able to repeat your designs. Expoxy can cause unbalanced issues if you’re not careful. Since it’s more viscous it flows, cures, and rests much differently than other glues. It also goes from a thick state, to a liquid runny state before it cures, so even it it seems good when you assemble it - it might not cure the same way as it was put together. If it hardens in one spot or is lopsided, you’ll feel it in the yoyo and may have a hard time diagnosing why it’s not playing as expected. Once you’re getting consistent results you can definitely give epoxy a try, it’s good stuff and works well, it can be finicky at times though. Plus it’s more costly than the other two options. I’d rather waste 1 cent worth of glue vs 20 cents worth of epoxy.

I suggest always doing a dry fit play test first and then glue it up if everything feels good.

1 Like