How to clean old aluminum rims?

I found a couple old posts including links on how to polish aluminum planes etc but all the images are missing by now.

Basically I just got back my old YYJ Jamboo and I want to give it the makeover it deserves.

Can aluminum be cleaned before polished? Sealed? If it’s tarnished am I too late?

Bonus points for anyone that knows how to spruce up the bamboo. I figure that’s a long shot though :joy:

2 Likes

Never-dull is what I use. Works fantastic. Just rip of a little piece, hold it in a piece of paper towel and rub around the rim. May want to wear gloves to keep your hands clean.

nevrdull

9 Likes

There’s a pdf of the polishing article here with photos.

Wash the jamboo, maybe wipe it down with zippo lighter fluid first. Rub it down with a very fine steel wool, like 000 or 0000 grade. Finish it off with a coat of polyurethane.

2 Likes

Thank you this is one of the posts I read that I didn’t understand or find helpful but I didn’t download the pdf’s as I was on my work computer. I appreciate your break down of it for me! I’ll post before and after pics of this unique grassy boi after following the steps in the pdf.

Here’s more on the jamboo.

The imageshack pics are all dead so here’s a few of them on their own…
before pics

Here’s some after pics

2 Likes