How Secure is you password?

Who makes programs designed to find someone’s password? Who do you think? Do you really think a hacker sits there, guessing what your password might be?

There are 95 printable ascii characters. Say you were limited to those, and a password had a random selection of them.

If it had one character, there would be 95 possible combinations.
If it had two characters, there would be 9025 combinations.
If it had three characters, there would be 857375 combinations.
If it had four characters, there would be 81450625.
etc.

An average computer can guess a certain number of combinations per second. That’s how they tell how long it will take.

It’s also much faster to take out all of the weird characters that many people don’t use, and only use letters, or even whole words. This saves a lot of time in guessing passwords, and for a lot of people it would work.

If you’re wondering, some basic information on how passwords are stored:

Generally almost any place you can trust will store your password as a hash. When you type in your password, the site/your computer uses a function that converts whatever you typed into a hash. These are designed to be difficult to undo should you find the hash. It is possible to make a hash table, which finds out what different combinations would be should they be a hash, but to help prevent that most places will also salt passwords- basically they add a different random character or whatever so when it is converted to a hash, a different hash table would be needed for each password. This makes it incredibly difficult to figure out what someone’s password is from where it is stored.

Also, do you think that site would actually be readily used if it wasn’t reputable, or if there were any major problems with it? The people who made a site like, who likely know very well what they are doing, that are probably going to have a better sense of a safe password than you.

I learned how to calculate the time it would take to hack a password in my first week of Cryptography class. Human programmers or not, the mathematical foundations for such calculations is sound. It’s pretty interesting stuff if you have the time to look into it.

1 Like

I know…I’m just arguing to argue…Dunno why. I really could care less about hacking, just cause it’s never happened to me, and most likely will not until I die and forget to delete my facebook…oh well.

11 sextillion quadragintillion years

Not really, that’s just gibberish. Mine would take a few hours.

7 hours.

That thing couldn’t guess my password in a million, gazillion yea… oh wait

47 seconds

Tell me your passwords to all of your accounts and Ill give you my opinion of how secure they are.

Hey guy’s mine’s yoyo. Seriously try it.

JK, I would never do that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay!
Mine is choclate1234

it only works if I have the PIN number for your credit cards.

4 minutes…