How not to fix stripped threads (officially renamed)

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make anymore here. Yes - kids will try things - I do not think he was advertising a ‘step by step’ method here at all though. He was merely sharing his experience and that it luckily came out with good results. The thread didn’t say ‘Here is how to fix your broken yo-yo’.

I agree we have to be careful about what we present as methods but nothing in this thread presents any ‘danger’ to an individual. If someone was recommending chemicals to kids to use that is one thing.

Share your experience but don’t call someone out when they weren’t actually doing anything wrong.

4 Likes

the master has spoken!

Lets put this one to rest. I wasn’t thinking about what poor outcome could have happened. I guess i lucked out but it could have ended badly, lesson learned. Too lazy to set up the Taig and it will never happen again. Never be too hasty to get something done, take your time and do it the right way. I am going to re thread it on the taig and show how it should have been done from the beginning.

I for one am an Over-Clocker. Indeed. Scooter’s thread here is not dissimilar to somebody on a Computer Hardware Forum show casing his or her Creations. (Mods) Because that is what it is about, Individual Creation.

Putting your own Artistic Talents, Skills, and Imagination into what you want to CREATE. Even at the earliest of ages, we had “Show And Tell” in the classroom.

It never ceases to amaze me, how many people can knit-pick the most piddly things. MILD things at that, and on something as remarkably insignificant as a Yo-Yo with a Stripped Axle. Something that MAY never be used again because it might not even GET FIXED without a method like this.

If the Axle is Stripped and you need high dollar, high tech redrilling equipment to restore it to full functionality in the full sense of the “The Technus Properus” methodum, what other method would you use beyond subtle Hood Rigging?

The whole argument is as asinine as “Your Hood Ain’t Hood As My Hood, Your Hood Ain’t Hood Enough!”

Back when I set out to set the Over-Clocking Record for the ATi 9700 Pro on Air, I had the assistance of one of the world’s foremost Hardware Modders. The guy worked for ATi… he was a leading designer who worked on the R350 Architecture.

People went so far as to say that he was stupid, because the modding techniques we used were that much outside of what at that time was consider “Conventional Air Cooling Modding”. We strapped a 1000+ Grams of 100% Copper Machined CPU Cooler to the die of a GPU whose primary Manufacturer’s Cooler was less than maybe 40-50 Grams of Aluminum. Then we took the stock 50mm Fan that the GPU came with fit it with Triple 120mm Delta Sonic Fans. People said the Video Card was going to flex and break and all that stuff but we got it to work and the Card STILL works today 15 years later.

So… live a little ! … So what if this method has a potential for not completely centering? Most people are completely out of proportion and uncentered themselves!

2 Likes

We are talking about a broken yo-yo right? If you think you can make it work give it a shot.

Funny that you talk about him ruining a chief when you ruin yoyos with your powdercoating all the time bob

Guy has plenty of modding experience that you can see in all the other threads and knows what he’s doing.

“Now…Skeeter…, He ain’t hurtin nobody” :smiley:

I’ve fixed dozens and dozens of stripped yo-yos just by screwing a larger size axle into the stripped threads. These are toys, fixed is fixed.

2 Likes

Seems odd, based on previous pm’s you gave me the impression that YYE Forums was all about the kids and what goes across this board. I assume that the potential for ruining a yoyo only leads to a sad face so no harm done.

A simple “kids/everyone I don’t recommend doing this by hand unless you have experience” is all that is needed.

Nice job scooter! ;D if i were you keep doing stuff the way your doing them! I like seeing you do this stuff honestly, its nice seeing some new ways to do stuff in the modding community. Also i find its awesome to see a new face in the modding community doing it a new and interesting way (even if others don’t approve!) However, It’s sad to say the older modders are community aren’t as open to newer modders… I really is was much more open of a community. Besides the point, you way looks like there’s much less room for mess up in how you retap the axle! ;D

anyways Scooter keep doing what you do! ;D

1 Like

I concur with Abey, I too enjoy these home-brew mods and wish to see more like them posted. Any excessive criticism is just a deterrent. I can somewhat understand the need to disclaim “you may destroy your $100 throw attempting this” here and there but Scooter’s work is beyond exceptional to say the least, the guy shouldn’t have to disclaim anything under his mods in the same fashion the manufacturers and resellers do because he isn’t in this for fiscal gain, he is a hobby modder like me, and Scooter’s mods should be celebrated just as much as any body else’s.

/Either way…, I say let them eat cake.

1 Like

Thank you all for your support and comments good and bad. I have learned in life, work and hobbies that no one person has perected any one of these, the very second you think you know it all you learn something new. I was in such a panic over the scrutiny of like Garrett said “a toy” than when i rebuilt the motor in my Corvette last year. I got more flack off the picture of the 1 bolt missing on the camshaft. I took the pic only for cam and crank alignment, it did go in for final assembly . But not as much as this yoyo. Lol

2 Likes

mmmm…LS6? Any mods during rebuild? ;D

EDIT: Oh, I see them now at the top. Very nice! EDIT2: I also believe now that that is the LT4 :wink:

1 Like

people get so aggravated by the little things that it detracts from the larger… does one really need to care how an artist painted a painting, the artist really meant for you to look at it and enjoy it not to critique how he painted it…

2 Likes

LT4, full roller top end, heads, cam, intake, headers, ignition, throttle body, fuel pump, regulator, injectors, 2 1/2 stainless exhaust, built 700r4 trans stall converter and shift kit. Im sure im missing something, just not that bolt.

Did someone say cake? Im hungry

I like Old School Big Body GM Cars myself. The LT4 is a beautiful motor, the younger brother of the LT1 older brother of the LS1. I wish the LT4’s were around long enough to be used in the old B-Body Impala or that the B-Body Impala would have been around long enough to see an LT4 or an LS1. There is a real Yo-Yo of a Car…, Painted shinier than the Purple Blue Splash Yo-Yo’s…House Of Kandy Blurple 1996 Impala on 30" Floating Wheels with a working LS9 Mod driving around the projects in Miami. You Corvette guys are lucky because the Vettes always came stock with the best motors ready to be modded.

Hey, that’s offensive to me too haha. Anyway, I don’t see anything wrong with having a kid tap a YoYo them self. The hand tap method will work with a pointed tap, as long as the hole is the right size, not so much for a bottoming tap. Sure the quality will come out better if it’s done on a lathe, but how many kids actually have access to a lathe? If it’s on a cheap YoYo, then I don’t see anything wrong with buying a tapping kit for cheap and doing it them selves. What those kids shouldn’t do is offer to re thread throws for other people without the use of a lathe, as the results can be inconsistent. Also, he got the throw for pretty cheap, I don’t blame him for thinking there’s no need to break out the lathe when it’s much quicker to just tap it by hand.

3 Likes

if only i could like that comment 100 times

1 Like

are the yoyo halves aligned by the axle or the bearing?

Since the shells mate the bearing seat to the axle bearing, it would appear that the halves align with the bearing.