How fast does the yoyo travel?

I was wondering how fast does the yoyo travels when a fast player does a speed combo? 40mph? 30mph?

Never ever think about it, and I don’t think anyone ever measure it.
Really interesting topic though.

Super fast? Saw a video on YouTube saying its as fast as a F1 engine or something like that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you know the RPM and circumference of the yoyo half, you can figure it out.

That’s the RPMs, not velocity

That would only work if it were rolling I think.

What’s an RPM?

Sowwie newbie here :joy:

Rates Per Minute. In a car this would also be known as “revs”, which is what makes the loud. It’s basically just how fast something spins. I think OP was asking about how fast something moves, not how fast it spins
Edit: it’s revolutions per minute, my bad

Oh woah, that’s cool!

Thank you for explaining! Appreciate it :slight_smile:

RPM stands for revolutions per minute.

1 Like

Yea, I made an oopsies

According to Bill Alton’s “Care and Operation of the Noble Disk” newsletter (from the 90’s), the Tom Kuhn SB-2 was measured by CSU’s physics dept with a digital tachometer at 14,700 RPM (just over 100mph, given its circumference). I know that measurement was used as advertisement by TK and I’ve heard it cited by Dale Oliver (who was the thrower measured). ProYo’s were also measured at about 12,000 RPM and No Jives around 8000.

2 Likes

^^That’s fast! It’s a bummer that doesn’t transfer to walk the dog speeds. Or maybe that’s actually a good thing? :slight_smile:

I’m just imagining someone getting dragged down the street with their yoyo pulling them.
We just solved our need for alternative energy for vehicles!

WHOTHEMAN does not support, endorse or recommend THE TURBO TIRES TRES YOYO! We air this for your information.

Are you tired of filling up with gas? Does walking make your feet hurt? Do you wish you could go 55 mph on your wheelies? Well, just listen up because do I have the solution for you!
THE TURBO TIRES TRES YOYO!!!
These high durability, low cost yoyos will allow you to turn anything with wheels into a high speed vehicle.
With our patent pending, super extravagantly low resistance, high speed, low cost, mediumly flashily, super luxurious yoyos are top notch equipment turning any of you bland deals into flaming wheels.

All you have to do is grab your yoyo, get on something with wheels, throw and go!

No more need to walk to school when you can get there in a 10th of a time!

Have a hot date but no car? No problem! TTTTY can have you riding in style in no time!

This is a must have for anyone who cares about nature, wants to save money, or doesn’t agree with other people’s views.

Call 1-800-123-YOYO and get your TTTTY today! The first 100 callers will get the gift of pure satisfaction as our free gift to you! Again that number is 1-800-123-YOYO

(Fading voice)
TURBO!
TIRES.
TRES…
SS…
S…

1 Like

I was about to post this, but Ed Ninja’ed me. Seems appropriate :smiley:
Knowing the circumference of the throw, and the circumference of the bearing, you could math the answer.

However, I suspect it would not be that impressive on a basic throw since it seems like the yoyo could not really move any faster than your hand on a gravity pull or breakaway.

It should travel faster when you let more string out. I suspect those tight speed combos are actually slower.

If you swing a ball on a string around you, the ball at the end of the string is travelling faster than any point further down on the string. The outside of the arc is travelling a greater distance in the same amount of time as the inside of the arc. It just looks slow because it’s travelling in a wide arc.

Yeah, that makes sense.
You should still be able to math it though.
There is probably a formula for it somewhere.

The rotational speed is going to be what’s impressive though, not the throws movement through space.

But in a speed combo, what’s interesting to the OP is how quickly the yoyo is moving from point A to B in space, not how fast it’s rotating.

In other words, you see a speed combo and go, “Wow, that thing is a blur… I can hardly even keep track of it!” so the OP is wondering how quickly it is traveling through space.

I don’t have any numbers of how fast the yoyo is moving in the air but this gives you an idea of what it would be like if you were the yoyo flying around :slight_smile:

This was my interpretation of the op as well. I don’t think using an equation with rpm and circumference would answer the op’s question.