How does the CLYW Klondike compare to the JT Kagerou?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been reading tons of praise for the CLYW Klondike and was considering picking one up. However, I already own a JT Kagerou and was wondering if they’re too similar to really make getting a Klondike worth it.

Can someone who has thrown both enough to get a feel for them please compare them for me and help me decide if the Klondike will be different enough to add it to my collection?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Good question, I’m curious as well. I have the Kagerou but have been wanting to get the Klondike eventually as well. I do worry that it’s not only too similar to the Kagerou but other C3 throws I own but it’s the one that catches my eye the most from CLYW’s catalog.

2 Likes

I remember reading on YYE forum that W!ld, Kagerou and Klondike are pretty much ‘the same yoyo with small differences’. Bear in mind I’m rather on intermediate level thrower, but I own all three and I would say that… they really are similar. I’m still torn which one of them would be my favorite. Klondike is the lightest in terms of how it plays, for me it’s the easiest one to control as I still struggle with going fast and with intention with some more complicated tricks and Klondike forgives the most. Kagerou and W!ld got more ooomph in them, I would say W!ld is the most powerful of the three, but I find Kagerou a bit more fun than W!ld. I don’t know what it is, but I feel that it plays a bit smoother than W!ld and with more power than Klondike.

TL;DR - they are super similar, Kagerou is more powerful than Klondike, Klondike is a bit more comfortable and I would say a bit better all-arounder, but if you’re looking for something distinctively different - that’s not your choice.

5 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response, this is exactly the kind of comparison I was hoping for! Good to know that the W!ld plays similarly as well, it had also caught my eye. I think I just like angular aesthetic of the profile of these yoyos haha

1 Like

The Wilder is supposed to be an evolution of the Wild and a bit more of a departure from the three discussed.

3 Likes

Honestly , I own both a Klondike and a JT kagerou and I couldn’t believe how similar they felt/played before I even seen this thread. They are extremely similar shape and the shape of the rims and feel is very identical… my kagerou is butter smooth I absolutely love it I actually like it just a little better than the Klondike but that’s just my personal preference

2 Likes

Thank you all, that’s exactly what I was looking for as well. I will pass on the Klondike for now anyway. I still want a CLYW yoyo eventually though, any suggestions?

1 Like

Otter is worth a look.

3 Likes

They do have a few upcoming releases, including a couple bimetals (the SUS Akita and Swan) that you may want to wait and keep an eye out for.

1 Like

The Freesolo is technically a V2 of the Summit. Better quality and price than modern CLYW imo.