How do you take apart a Protostar?

My string’s all knotted and I can’t get the thing apart.

I don’t want to crank on it too hard for fear of breaking it.

Oh yeah, no youtube videos.

First time opening it? It probably came super tight from the factory. Mine did as well from what I remember. The two halves twist apart. Hold one half firmly in your right hand and twist the top half to the left with your left hand. You won’t break it as long as your cranking it in the right direction. Alternatively, you can just cut the string off with a pair of scissors and put a new one on.

Dude.

Thanks, got it. :slight_smile:

No prob! Also, you do not need to tighten it so that the two black arrows align on the two halves. Doing that will overtighten it and make it difficult to unscrew again, but maybe it’s just on mine.

Another issue you’ll probably run into sooner or later is the metal spacers being stuck on the bearing. This is a known issue and you can get the spacers off the bearing by using a small flat head screw driver to gently pry them free. I ditched the Center Trac bearing in mine and put a KonKave in it and haven’t had the spacers get stuck since.

The Protostar is one of my favorite plastics. It’s an awesome yoyo and I hope you enjoy yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man.

For a replacement bearing I get the large Center Trac right?

Yeah, any size C bearing should work. I’m not a big fan of Center Trac bearings myself, but they’re more than adequate for a Protostar.

If you can help it, don’t open it at all.