How do you decide a yoyo?

I recently went to club, and all the guys let me try their yoyo’s, so it’s great to be able to play the yoyo before you buy imho. I think I also wait very patiently and shop a lot. Wait for that special opportunity.

I’ve gotten enough stuff to know with very good accuracy if I will or won’t like something.

Also, it’s got to not have a disgusting colorway. There’s been a few yoyos I’ve wanted but I just simply could not tolerate the colorways. I gotta pay for it, I gotta live it it. I don’t want some colorway that looks like some MLP had some sort of food poisoning attack on it.

At the same time, I do like variety. Shapes, sizes, weights, materials, bearings, options/gimmicks. Variety is good. Mix it up so you never get bored. Since I’m not competing, I don’t feel the need to get locked down into a specific model.

If I’m not sure, I’ll try to see if I can somehow get a chance to play it first. I was like this regarding several YYF models, and luckily I was able to try them first and it turned out they weren’t good fits for me. Well, most. The Proton is a must-have for me.

Same as skirtz, I usually look for variety. I want to be able to pick up something different over now and then. Of course I have my preferences but I keep them fairly broad (I’m a sucker for a bit of float, for example). Looks also play a huge factor for me. Ugly yoyos don’t belong on my shelf.

I choose throws based on shape, dimensions, and looks, in order of priority.

How it looks + How good it plays

I’ll just check studio42’s inventory. If he has more than one of that model, I’ll buy it. If he doesn has it yet, then I’ll ask him about it.

For me it all comes down to how it plays on the string. Like for instance I have a Purple Mountain Majesty and it is on of my favorite yoyos of all time nice and nimble with a little float but I got a Majesty v2 that is only 1.4 grams heavier and it just didn’t fit my preferences.

Thanks.

I’m trying to not have too many duplicates for certain models though!

I think if I’m being used as a “reference”, maybe I should be getting a discount at YYE for all my purchases. I gotta put up more reviews though. That’s my project for this weekend is to post some reviews I’ve been working on.

I think that’s because a lot of people don’t wait until that “new yoyo” feel wears off. A review is usually only good when they wait for that feeling to wear off. And even then you will still not have an impartial review because everybody has different preferences. I think what makes a great yoyo is that it is one where when you’re bored and just want to throw something, that is the one you pick out of your case.

Anyway, back to the question haha. I usually just get whatever looks nice to me. Anything that catches my eye or that looks different from what I have tried before. Color isn’t too big of a factor, and neither is brand. I have found that I’ve enjoyed CLYW, though. Hopefully I’ll be able to try out some new things tomorrow at Indy States. The Spyy Amplifier looks pretty cool, and so does some of Foxland Precision’s stuff.

Exactly! That’s why I like Chris Rhoads’ reviews. He actually plays them for quite some time before writing one.

No one mentioning sniffys reviews? I still go by that.

I buy and throw yoyos solely based on my predictions on how they will play. I read reviews by people who have similar tastes to my own (HighSpeedYoYo’s reviewers share some) and make a decision regarding whether or not I should do more research based on their findings.

Then, I actually sit down with a spec list of my favorite yoyos (Torrent II, CODE2, Magnum, Cascade, ect.) and see whether or not the yoyo I’m considering falls within my preferred range of sizes, shapes, and weights. Some yoyos don’t apply to that rule at all. I like full sized yoyos (56-60mm), but YoYoRecreation’s ClashCube is one of my favorite yoyos now that I own one.

If the yoyo I’m considering falls within my comfort zone, I’ll do my best to find someone near me who owns one so I can play it before spending any money. I’ve been lucky enough to meet a great kid who has a very nice collection and we get together every week or so to try new yoyos and such. If I like the way it plays, I get one of my own.

If I can’t find one to play, it comes down to a complete crap-shoot. If I’ve got the money to spend, I’ll take the plunge and click “purchase”, but if I can’t afford to spend money on a yoyo that I’m not 100% sure about, I’ll just hold off. I’m lucky to have plenty of self-control (and a girlfriend who can stop me from being stupid), but I do make bad purchases from time to time. When that happens, the BST is my best friend.

Personally, I don’t really judge a yoyo based on color, finish, rarity, or material. If it plays well and fits my preferences, I want it and will try to get it. If I stop liking it, I’ll trade it for something I think I will like! Hooray for bartering!

Well, I see Ernie 1-2 times a month so… mainly if the price is right and its general-yo then yeah ill buy it.

For me, it depends on what I might be using the yo-yo for. I look for different things in a yo-yo, if I will be collecting it, than if I will be playing it.

If I see a new release, and I think it might be a collector, I look for it to be something “different,” or “limited.” I don’t necessarily care about the specs. I consider the color though, because whether I collect it, or play it, I have to look at it, so it really does matter to me.

If I see a new release, and I decide that I want to buy it for play, the decision was probably made based on the shape, weight, width, finish and color. For example, i tend to enjoy heavier yo-yos, and I do not like oversized.

I read reviews, but rarely make a decision based on them, I just like to read. I have a few yo-yo friends whose opinions I trust, as they know me and my preferences well, so they have a pretty good idea if they have played something recently that I might enjoy. I listen to those guys, and they have never steered me wrong.

How do I decide? I just check if there’s any new YoYoJam Throw coming out soon, if there is I wait, if there’s not, I try and get something different yet affordable (probably gonna get a Summit by the end of the year)

Well, it gets to the point where there’s nothing else (obtainable) out that seems interesting. But other than that, it doesn’t take much to open my wallet. Something unique but looks nice in hand is always nice, the H3X would be a perfect example of just buying on a whim, a true decision lol.

I don’t really need to look up reviews, make threads asking “This or that”, “Is this a good yoyo?”, “Is this better than this or that or even CLYW”. Which is how a lot of people decide.

No. I simply believe, if a yoyo is in Production phase and from a brand with any sort of Integrity, then it’s safe taking the plunge, if within comfort and reason. There’s no reason for a company to make a produce a run of yoyo’s if they aren’t satisfied with the prototype. If there’s no prototype and a simple run of X yoyo’s, I typically stay far away… as they aren’t tested, but those are usually small companies anyway.

So yeah, if it’s from a known brand, I feel safe. If it looks like it will feel nice in my hand, and has a decent look, that’s how I decide.

Lol @ people who obsess over “performance” and all that crap… trying to compensate much???

What in the world happened to your sig?!

1 Like