How do we make more yo-yoers?

Obviously competitions are important but only a tiny percentage of throwers ever compete and even those who follow competitions are a fraction of the larger fan base.

I’ll tell you what got me into it and a lot of other people: cool videos.

And I don’t mean some guy in his room doing sick combos or anyone on stage, I mean a well produced and awesome looking video with slow mo etc that makes people think “That looks awesome, I want to try that.”

This Rally video is IMO one of the best ever made and it is, what, 6 years old? This is the kind of stuff we need

7 Likes

I can see how contests help keep things going, but this ^^^^ is what got me in and continues to inspire. Some of the craziest, arguably most important, innovators of all time have never made a big splash in contests (umm… Sid Seed, Ricardo Fraolini, etc.). Meanwhile, videos continue to be a great source for inspiring, creative, pure yoyoing (Tyler Vienneau).

3 Likes

Well, people have been dissatisfied with the contest scoring system for many years and years but it doesn’t seem like there’s been a meaningful change - where meaningful would be a change to the scoring system that shifts contest-style yoyoing away from a simple “more is more” numbers game. Again, some of the most amazing yoyoers are/were not rewarded in the contest system as it is, and I’m pessimistic that this will change. I totally lost interest in contest results and contest freestyle videos but would love to be excited about it again.

1 Like

I’ve always thought the same thing dude. By now it’s become a common practice in just about everything. One of the first things that comes to mind is the use of videos like this in skating. I mean skate teams have been filming videos before YouTube even existed, and since then have adapted pretty well to most modern forms of social media.

I think it’d be great to see more videos like this in yoyoing :smiley:.

2 Likes

I think something like Clash 44 would be great for more local “contests”.

2 Likes

Yeah, good example!

First, you need a man and a woman, or one or two women, a donor and a turkey baster. Then… sorry, couldn’t resist. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I came here in search of this comment. Thanks for not letting me down.

3 Likes

i have 10 other people in my family

1 Like

Yes but how many of them yo-yo, the correct answer is ALL OF THEM

1 Like

By force?

2 Likes

one of my brothers has the Shutter but i’m the only one who spends a lot of time yoyoing lol

Ok so basically,

1. Show yoyo trixs
  2. They think cool
  3. Tell then recommendations
  4. They buy em

Thats about my experience in getting people to join at school

2 Likes

nice lol