How do professional yoyoers reach thier pro level ???

as stated above…

i just doubt how they make their freestyles so smoothly combined together… it keeps me wondering all the day.

how they learn ? do they learn like we do ? from basics to master level ? how they perform their very own routine ? is it a combination of tricks or some kind of own innovation ?

Practice, a lot of it

3 Likes

practice is the main thing that’s for sure… besides practice, what makes them able to pull off the yoyo routine ??? combination of tricks or some kind of new trick ideas ? does it mean that to be pro we need to create our own new yoyo tricks ?

yes, professionals use tricks that they have made up.

Practice, determination, practice, dedication, practice, drive, and most importantly: practice.

Pros become pros when they show that they have a unique style from other people, have sufficient skill (from tons and tons of efficient practice), are innovative, and are helpful to the community (more than just competing such as having good personalities, tutorials, reviews, etc.).

Haha, my old band teacher used to say, “PERFECT practice makes perfect.”

Same way you get to Carnegie Hall

It takes 10,000 hours to master a skill.

1 Like

i think a lot of it has to do with focus. at some point, most pros are primarily concerned with one main facet of yo-yoing. the more you specialize, the more you separate yourself from the crowd. later on, what you find is that being good at one aspect of yo-yoing really helps you to push in other directions. it’s definitely not just about hours of practice. you have to pick things to work on which will KEEP you inspired and work on them with a kind of insane determination. it occurred to me the other day that i haven’t gone a day without playing yo-yo since 5/25/05. i’ve just been lucky in choosing paths that have kept me more inspired than frustrated. if playing is a chore, you’re done.

you’ve also GOT to get to contests and events. it’s much easier to get good and relevant and stay there if you have a sense for what your peers are doing and develop those connections.

and then lastly, you have to have vehicles for presenting your original take on yo-yoing. people have to see you and WANT to yo-yo because of what you’re doing. that’s about the whole attitude you convey and not just what you do with the string.

the bottom line, for me, is that if you’re practicing so that you will “be a pro”, then even if you make it, it’ll be pretty empty. if the attention is what fuels you, it really shows through. on the other hand, if you’re legitimately playing because nothing could STOP you, even if you had one yo-yo, couldn’t get on the internet, and lived hundreds of miles from any kind of scene, you’ll be doing it for the right reasons. and AFTER you make it, that’s the stuff that sustains you and keeps you throwing, sweating, bleeding, and and loving every second of it.

4 Likes

A lot of the top pros have been doing this for 5-10+ years. So that much practice, combined with actually being involved during the evolution of modern yoyoing, along with all of the time spent amongst other yoyoers and trading trick ideas between each other, ends up making some pretty amazing competitors.

416 and 2/3 days, dang.

They are original, and take yoyoing to be not only a sport, but an art form. They are always original, groundbreaking, and some practice. 25 hours a day 8 days a week.

WOW ! looks nice i still have a long way to go…

The reason i play yoyo cuz i was inpsired by how my parents so called the “kid’s stuff” could become an art to bring happiness to others ! i wish to be a real performer to entertain others on stage that’s why i play :smiley:

I don’t know for sure since I’m not a pro, but from my experience doing other things, being around people who are better than you are is a big, big advantage if you really want to be great.

I don’t really have that with yoyoing. There’s no one around that I can learn and take inspiration from. Videos are okay, but they’re no substitute for a friend or collegue right there in front of you, giving you ideas, instruction, and motivation to improve.

Someday when i’m rich i’ll pay a top pro thousands to come live with me and train me 10 hours a day for a month. I feel like i’ve hit a bit of a wall with youtube tutorials. Once you get to the top tier speed combos, whips and laceration combo things it becomes so nuanced i think it’d be a million times easier to learn in person.