How can I keep my hands dry for competition?

I want to compete with no gloves on but my hands will be sweaty from the nervousness. How do I make sure they will be dry when I go on stage?

2 Likes

stay very cool right before you go on stage

2 Likes

Impossible haha

1 Like

You could try magnesium carbonate. That’s what climbers and gymnasts use to keep their hands dry. But then you’ll get powder all over your kit. Maybe just use a minimum amount.

4 Likes

I seen some competitors use baby powder, and similar things. It shouldn’t get on your string if you use a small amount.

2 Likes

Seconding what @Ed-C said. Climbing / gymnast chalk will do the trick. They have cool pouches to keep messes at minimum now. Look for something called a chalk sock.

3 Likes

optical wipes work quite well. make sure, you use some lotion after throwing because they can make your skin extremely dry.

1 Like

As a climber, I would strongly advise you not to use any kind of magnesia/chalk for yoyoing. Although there are things like chalk socks (for loose chalk) or liquid chalk (kind of lotion from a mixture of alcohol and chalk) the point is, that all of these things just make a lot of dirt (dust) that you certainly do not want to have in your bearing or on your string. It really goes everywhere. This stuff is more for moments where you really need a good and firm grip with your hands (climbing, gymnastics, weightlifting etc.) and cleanliness is unimportand. For your needs I would rather consider to use any alcohol based hand disinfectant - or yoyo-gloves :wink:

5 Likes

Ive seen a product called “Carpe” advertised onTV recently. I have no experience with this product myself but it is promoted to do exactly what you are looking for. Maybe a little research into that may yield a solution.

Good luck

Enjoy the throw
kgb

2 Likes

Thats a good point!

4 Likes

Wet wipes then wait until dry, or alcohol spray then wipe with paper towel.

2 Likes

Back in the day it was antiperspirant spray.

3 Likes

Wash and dry your hands several times back to back. It’ll dry them out for a little while.

1 Like

@YoYoMa1 my recommendation is that you try to perform in front of your friends and family and even out in public. if you continue to yo-yo in front of people regularly then you will start to build up confidence and the nervousness will fade away gradually.

This has definitely worked for me personally and I’m pretty sure it will work for you too. Im looking to compete at this years Florida state contest so I’m trying to perform my routine either in public or at home to build up my confidence until the contest. I’m a bit nervous myself so you’re definitely not alone :sweat_smile:

I highly recommend that you give this a try and you’ll see that the nervousness won’t be as bad when your on stage :wink:

3 Likes

Wow you really get to the root of the problem haha. That’s a great answer. I will definitely do that when I have finished building my routine.

2 Likes

yeah I remember seeing people have some unscented degree in their yoyo bag.

1 Like

Wash your hands with the hottest water your hands can handle and don’t use moisturizer/lotion for a little while before

1 Like

a2mnBbd_700bwp

4 Likes

I was watching something… I think it was the yoyo episode of We Are The Champions on Netflix… and there was a scene in the practice room where I noticed people spraying what appeared to be deodorant on their hands. Makes sense.

1 Like

A real answer this time :stuck_out_tongue: - YoYo Gloves (or billiard gloves, same thing) They work pretty well and are used for reducing friction. They do feel goofy but they work.

1 Like