Help with breakaway yoyo trick

Hey so I am new to yoyoing (have been yoyoing for a few months) and I have lots of trouble with the breakaway. The yoyo spins crooked almost every time I do the breakaway, and even when the yoyo seems straight after a breakaway, I still have to bend my finger to make a trapeze, wich makes mastering trapeze very difficult. I am using a Duncan Pro Z yoyo without the mod spacers. What should I do? please help

5 Likes

I would say practice and make sure everything is parallel to you at all times, but others might have better wiser advice :man_shrugging:

seems like you’re having an issue with keeping the throw straight, and that mainly comes with practice. remember to keep your arm parallel to the ground and give it lots of power, more than you’d expect. to land the trapeze, slide your throwhand pointer across the string until the yoyo lands over it to minimize the space you can miss on if that makes sense.

also if you’re feeling confident, put those spacers in! increasing the width helps a lot with the actual landing of the yoyo on the string for the trapeze. hope this helps!

1 Like

Already some good advice has been given. Another bit that I can add is find a place to yo-yo where there is a straight line on the floor. Stand with that line straight across in front of you and use it to help you insure that you are throwing straight across your body. Besides that…practice. I can hit Double or Nothing more consistently that’s Trapeze. It isn’t actually all that easy to catch.

Yo you want to make sure you are releasing a moment before you throw and try to sling the Yoyo out from the string. You don’t want to try to catch the Yoyo on the string for trapeze. You want to pull the Yoyo onto the trapeze like you can just wait for it to swing around and land, or you can push the trapeze wider and this will pull the Yoyo around and onto the string. Also if you can get your finger closer to the Yoyo, you’re less likely to miss the trapeze.

2 Likes

Just watch this video.

2 Likes

Thank you

Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you,

Thank you’

Thank you-

Ps: Thank you everyone. Does the shape of the yoyo affect tilting during the breakaway? I have heard that butterfly shaped yoyos are designed to not tilt during string tricks. Does this apply during the breakaway? Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Yea it applies to the breakaway, also I find it harder to get a clean throw with a really wide yoyo, but only when they are really wide, and you can get smoother throws with them. Again, it really takes a lot of practice. I’m happy I could help :grin:

2 Likes

I would say to try with an imperial shape yoyo like for example a a Yomega Raider for getting the breakaway straighter. Imagine throwing at a target a few feet away on your side and throw hard. If your throw is weak then the spin is slow and can twist on you. You want to really work on this, because down the road you will have longer spin time for tricks that will need longer spin time. If you can land a trapeze on an imperial shape yoyo then when you go back to your main, then it will be a LOT easier. To land the trapeze pull the string the exact moment the sting touches your finger. I find this helped me.

1 Like