HELP!!!!! - Rusted Bearing

HELP!!!

I WAS SILICONING A YOYO WITH A BEARING THAT IS RUSTED AND STUCK ON ONE HALF OF THE YOYO AND THE SILICONE GOT STUCK IN THE BEARING! I TRIED TO GET THE BEARING OUT BUT IT WON’T WORK!!!

HELP QUICK!!! :’( :’( :’( :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :’( :’( :’( :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

There’s not a lot you can do with silicone when it’s still wet. About the best you can hope for, I think, is to wait until it dries and then attempt to pick it out with tweezers or something. It’s actually pretty easy to remove once dried, it’s not really sticky or solid or anything.

Ok calm down a bit. Put the yoyo in the freezer for a half hour and try to get the bearing out again. Remeber to wiggle it back and forth, don’t just pull straight up.

1 Like

YES, BEFORE I SILICONED THE YOYO, I TRIED TO FREEZE IT AND MANY OTHER THINGS, BUT IT WON’T WORK!!!
but, after a few days of yoyoing, will the silicone come out because of the bearing? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Capslock guy, capslock.

It’s doubtful that the silicone will come out just by play. You probably should pick at it with tweezers or a toothpick or something similar.

Wiggle, don’t pull.

1 Like

1: Always remove your bearing before siliconing. I thought this was fairly obvious. Well, it happens. Don’t give up hope.

2: To remove your bearing, if needed, I strongly recommend a bearing removal tool. Pliers are OK, but too many people accidentally destroy bearings using pliers. This is especially true on yoyos that have a death grip on the bearing at the bearing seat.

3: If you have a yoyo with a death grip on the bearing, be patient. use the bearing puller and wiggle in your choice of a back and forth, left and right or circular motion. The same can be done with the pliers, just don’t use a death grip on the pliers.
Note: YYF is known for this, but they are NOT the only brand that does this.
Also, this might be the time to really consider getting a bearing pulling tool. It’s handy to have around. Even the YYF multi-tool is a massive step in the right direction.

4: You can also toss the yoyo in the freezer. The idea being that the aluminum and steel shrink at different rates and amounts(which I believe is true). Couple this with the above bearing removal methods.

5: Bearing out in one piece? Wait for the silicone to either cure, cure more or cure more than it already is cured. This is a lot easier with cured silcone. De-shield your bearing, pick out as much silicone as you can. Blow out the rest. Clean the bearing, use the paper slip method if necessary. Blow out again. Clean out again, blow out again. Check and see if anything needs repeating. If so, do it. Absolute worst case scenario is you replace the bearing. I know, not perfect, but that’s really as bad as it will get. You can always spend more time trying to clean it out. The odds are actually in favor of you eventually getting that bearing all cleaned out.

6: Lastly, if you got silicone in the bearing, you got silicone in the bearing seat. Wait for it to cure first. Now, clean it out. Use a bright light, it will help you see the silicone better. It’s still a pain in the rear with clear silicone as it can often be very small and hard to see. Blow out often. Even if you didn’t leave your bearing in place, you should still do this check. Check both halves. Also, wooden toothpicks work very well for this task.

7: Since you cleaned your bearing, lube to taste, replace the shields if you so desire, put the yoyo back together completely and go play.

I hope this helps.

sigh
Sadly, i did everything, but the bearing still won’t come off. This yoyo is my friend’s and when he dropped the yoyo into the pond, the bearing was rusted and couldn’t get off for years (yes, this is a old metal yoyo). I just gave it a throw (an hour passed) and I somehow got it to be 95% unresponsive. Oh well, I hope my friend won’t get too mad.

It can take a while to take the bearing off.

Also, you mentioned rust. I know WD40 is frowned upon, but this might be a perfect application for it, as well as then cleaning out the bearing.

Let me ask you a few questions, if you don’t mind:

First, what model is it?

Second, do you have a bearing puller? Pliers? Sometimes it just requires the right tool and/or skill.

Third, if you’re near my area(Sacramento, California), I’ll see if I can remove the bearing, and I’ll clean the bearing and if you want, I’ll Terrapin X treat it too. Depending on the time, you can wait around while I do the work. Plan for a half an hour or more as I don’t move fast on this. If you want it siliconed, I can do that too. I got no problem teaching you this stuff.

it’s a chinese yoyo (blazing teens: ice sprirt), and i only have pliers. it’s really rusted, and when i say rusted, i mean super rusted. the bearing is 99% dark black and 1% dark brown, and the bearing seat i think is brown. the bearing seat is supposed to be blue-purple, but it’s brown. i don’t think i can do anything about it.

I could probably get it out pretty easily lol, just use a pair of pliers, don’t be afraid to crush the bearing, it’s rusted anyway.

I think based on the description, it’s probably best to give the bearing a mercy killing and just get something else in there, be it a KK, YYJ Speed Bearing, CenterTrac or anything else.

I also agree that with the right knowledge(like what you have), that bearing is as good as removed. I bet a little clean-up around the seat to remove any other oxidation and it’s good to go.