Help Needed!

Ok guys so here is my problem…
I have been yoyoing for a while now. And i have never let a day go by without practicing. I feel like yoyoing is a part of my life now and i love the community and everything!

My problem is that i am finding it harder and harder to make new tricks. I am happy with my combos right now but i never really had good tech. This is a video that i made when i was a 9 months:

I dont feel that my tech is getting any better.

This is me at nationals…

What can i do to get insperation and or (new) ideas?
Some days i practice for like 5+ hours and don’t create anything new.

I think my style has always been more about flashy tricks but i want to start making tricks that will score good as well.

I have also been watching alot of videos to get ideas from.

What else can i do??

I have a couple suggestions for you:

1. Find players that inspire you or have a similar style as you and start watching their videos and till you understand some of their elements. Use those elements to help you create tricks.
  2. Find players that inspire you or have a similar style and see if you can find a way to contact them. Maybe they can give you tips for coming up with tricks.
  3. Get into a mount and do something you’ve never done before and keep doing that until you come up with something fun.
  4. Get into a knot of some kind and then try to find a smooth way out of it.
  5. Find more tutorials and learn new tricks that can inspire you.

These are just some of the things that can help you out. Good luck

1 Like

start working on more techy tricks and do what harrison lee says “the way i yoyo is to go in and out of knots”

Thanks for the tips man :slight_smile:

There comes a point in every yoyoers life that he comes to this point.

There are two ways you can approach this. you can just grind through it and work harder to create more tricks. This way is a pretty hard he has to force himself to think and become the inspiration that he needs to make better tricks. You can do alot with this way, but i have seen friends burn themselves out doing it working so hard that they lose their love for yoyoing.

The second way is to take a step back and just focus on what makes you happy with yoyoing and not work to hard on making new tricks. This will help you realize what your spot is in yoyoing and what you need to do to make your tricks. Sometimes the best way to see something new is to take a step back. Tone it down and just relax if you don’t make a new trick. Yoyoing is meant to be fun not grinding your soul away trying to make new tricks for just a little applause.

Your a good thrower and you’ve excelled far into yoyoing in the short time you’ve been doing it. However sometimes we rush to fast and forget what it is all about. Im going to take this from a show ive watched. Because at the end of the day its all about the game. At the end of the day its all about having fun with the yoyo. I really don’t think anyone has fun with yoyos when all they do is sit and worry themselves over about trying to make new tricks.

Your new into yoyoing expect there to be times when you hit a roadblock and just can’t think of anything new. When i hit this point i switch back to my very first throw and do the tricks i used to do like brain twister, rock the baby, and the other easy ones. Or i just go back and try to learn tricks i thought were to hard at the time or that i didn’t think i needed to learn.

this is just what i know to be true for me it may be different for you since your more then likely a different mindset then me and have different goals.

I know that you once mentioned you wanted to be sponsored, for me while it would be cool to be sponsored id rather just have fun throwing yoyos not tied to one company and being able to enjoy how nice the community is.

Its a great world out there don’t get too caught up in making tricks and trying to impress everyone.

Now thats my mind and i probably said way to freaking much… alot more then i should have.

2 Likes

Thanks man :slight_smile:

I feel that your performance could have been cleaner, and that would’ve helped you score higher. I think that embracing your style can be just as fulfilling as changing it.

As far as new tricks are concerned, learning the tricks of others has usually gotten me out of slumps. I use some of the newer elements to create my own tricks.

Hope some of that helped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand hitting a road block sucks but in the short period of time, you’ve excelled at an alarming rate. I’d say I excelled someone faster than most but haven’t had much time to practice and have hit a road block. Don’t forget why you started to going in the first place. Taking it too seriously will begin to ruin the enjoyment out of it. And as stated above. I found that when stuck on making new tricks, learn someone else’s and you will pick up new elements and get inspired. That’s what’s always helped me.

And getting in and out of knots? I gotta try that.

Remember copying and creating are two totally different skills.

I can play Stairway to Heaven, but I could never have written it.

Stress is the enemy of creativity, so you have to just sit back a relax as much as possible.

The best way to think of it is that you should never be practicing. Even when I’m preparing for a contest, I think of it as having fun rather than actual practicing. I don’t set aside time to prepare, I just do it whenever I feel like it. If you set aside time to “practice” yoyoing, it’s going to get boring really quick. If you take a break from it, you can usually overcome bumps in trick creation. Just don’t focus on making tricks for a week and instead just have fun with it. Most of the time, I don’t actively try and make tricks. Instead, I just mess around with various concepts until I screw up in a way that has potential to turn into a neat trick at which point I’ll actively try to turn that new concept into something. As for scoring higher in contests, take my response with a grain of salt as I haven’t gotten past prelims at a contest yet, but my family went to gentry’s workshop at lvo and
they relayed some tips to me.

1. A freestyle should always be purposefully choreographed. Don’t use a song with the same tone throughout, even in prelims. Instead, find one with big ups and downs that has potential to help you time your biggest tricks. While tech is a huge part of prelims in particular, you still get 14? points from music use/body control. If you can time each trick to the beat of the song, your freestyle will look 10x better to the judges.

2. Body control- don’t just randomly walk around stage or move your body without purpose. Each and every movement you make should be 100% choreographed as well. Moving your body in a unique way (like gentry bending over during his seasick combo) can score you a bunch of points for body control. It really only takes one memorable music use/body control part of your freestyle to score high in that section. Lots of people ignore these two, but they are insanely important because even if you score perfect in tech while ignoring the performance aspect, you’ll almost never make it to finals at a major contest. Body control also means not yoyoing in front of you the whole time. Most people have an invisible box from their waist to chest where they keep most of their tricks. If you can go outside of that with behind the back tricks, arm trick, and leg tricks, then you’ll score some extra body control points.

3. And of course, make sure you can hit every combo in your freestyle 99% of the time. If you can’t get a combo down clean enough, I don’t care how hard it is. You need to trash it from your routine. You’ll score more points with a simple combo you can hit 100% of the time than an incredibly difficult one you only hit 50% of the time.

1 Like