Hate for YYF bearings and love for YYE bearings?

Alright so after using a bunch of different bearings from different company’s I think it’s time I wrote a little review on two that really stuck out to me for both good and bad reasons.

I recently bought a YoYoExpert Replacement Bearing (Size C) because I needed to put a new bearing in my PGM2 so I could give it to my little brother to practice on. I didn’t get one of the more popular One Drop 10-Ball or AIRG bearings because I wasn’t going to be the one using it and I didn’t want to spend the extra $2.00 or so to get one. So when it got here (the YYE bearing that is) I put it in my RecRev “i” just to test it out, see how it played. WOW, I was really surprised by the performance right away, the long spins the smoothness, it wasn’t even loud! Intrigued, I deshielded it to see what was inside and was surprised to see that it had inner shields (or whatever you call the thing that holds the little balls in the center of the bearing) on both sides just like the AIRG’s and 10-Ball’s do.

After playing some more I put the 10-ball I’ve been using back into the RecRev and kept playing, to my surprise I didn’t really notice much of a difference, slightly longer spin times with the 10-ball but nothing to really brag about. I’m extremely pleased with the YYE bearing and I recommend everyone try one if they haven’t already.

Now on to my beef with YYF bearings (or should I say CBC?)
Besides the RecRev, all the throws I own right now are YYF, and over time I’ve had to replace the bearing in every single one of them except for my POPStar, but even that one’s getting a new one soon. My main problem with the CBC bearings is that if you deshield them it’s extremely easy for the inner shield or clasp or whatever you call it to fall out, then all the little balls fall out of the bearing and you can’t get them back in so you have a completely useless broken bearing. The reason the clasp thing falls out is because there’s only one on one side of the bearing instead of two on both sides like the YYE, AIRG, and 10-Ball bearings have. Other than the clasp problem, CBC/YYF bearings are actually fine. They have moderately good spin times and are smooth and quiet (except for the Center Trac’s which are smooth but extremely loud).

So what conclusion does this bring us to?
In my opinion if you don’t plan on ever deshielding your bearings, CBC/YYF bearings will work fine, but be warned that if you deshield them there’s a good chance the inner clasp can fall out almost rather easily. I’ve had one of mine fall out just from taking the bearing out of the yoyo once.
However if you do plan on deshielding I definitely recommend you get a bearing that has clasps on both sides so the balls can not fall out, this includes the YYE, AIRG, 10-Ball, HSpin and most others. I haven’t used every bearing out there so contact the company or ask someone on here if you want to know if they have one or two clasps.

I hope this helps some people.

Happy Throwing! – Hadoe

The YYE Bearing is called YYJ Speed Bearing. And the bearing cage falling out of SPEC Bearings is your fault. Don’t poke that with a needle. It would fall right out. And I don’t blame you for the Center Trac. Center Tracs suck. But just lube all the bearings you get with a drop of thin lube.

I suppose it is my fault to a certain extent since I did deshield the bearings and use them, but beyond that, not really. Maybe it’s just me this has been happening to but really, I know how to take car of a bearing, that’s why all of my replacement bearings I’ve bought have played and will continue playing just fine. I wrote my review based off of personal experience so if yours is different than mine feel free to state it, but please don’t just say it’s my fault and assume I was poking it with a needle.
Also the YYE bearings I’m referring to are these: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/186/YoYoExpert-Bearings
The YYJ speed bearings you’re referring to are these: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/55/YYJ-Bearings
One is $6.00, one is $8.00, they are different.

I have had mixed emotions with YoYoFactory’s bearings too. The first one I got was one of their older models with the rounded edges. It broke in and played nicely for a while, but after four months it started acting up. I cleaned it and lubed it to no avail. I talked to YYF about it and they replaced it free of charge. The one they gave me was a newer model with the sharp edges. It has been one of my favorite bearings and has only needed a tiny bit of lube here and there as far as maintenance goes.

With regards to the cages falling out, they should not do that during normal use. I would talk to YYF about that. I should note that a bearing that has been completely disassembled does not equal a total loss. I have on multiple occasions taken a bearing completely apart and put it back together. However, I highly suggest not doing that because it is really easy to lose the balls and it is extremely difficult to put the bearing back together.

You actually managed to get them back together? The first time it ever happened to me I took a good solid 2 hours trying to get it back together, I gave up after that.

Twice actually. The first time was for science. The second was to see if I could do it again.

boo

The first YYF bearing I got came stock inside my Genesis, and I had the same problem, but I never emailed YYF about it. It played terribly, and wouldn’t sleep for more than 30 seconds, and seemed to stick when I spun it. I tried to clean it, but it didn’t help either. I just ended up getting a Konkave, which plays amazing, and I think I like the Center-trac better than the KK though. I’m looking to try out some more bearings like the One-drop 10-ball, General-yo AIGR, and the YYE bearing too now

What?

Never tried a KK since I don’t care about string centering all that much but the 10-Ball, AIGR, and YYE bearings are all really great.

Sorry dcs937, but you fail for this statement. YYF is a terrific company with top notch products (perhaps aside from the bearings, I will give you that) and top notch customer service. YYF also makes up a good majority of my collection as well, and I’ve tried and/or owned yo-yos from most all other major manufacturers, and YYF still holds my preference. You shouldn’t talk down on anyone’s yo-yoing preferences. I wouldn’t for yours.

Back on topic. I too have spoken many times about my mixed feelings with YYF bearings - SPECs in particular. My main complaint, however, is that after a short time frame, pretty much all of my SPECs with the sole exception of the one that came in my Genesis start to lose smoothness and cause a wierd sort of pulsating feeling and sound both when flicked and during play.

And that’s really interesting about the YYE bearings! I’ve been waiting to see if anyone else had an opinion on them, and I think you just convinced me to snatch one up with my next YYE purchase.

I love YYF, amazing, cheap yoyos, just bad bearings. Trust me the YYE bearings won’t let you down :slight_smile:

I am not sure why, but all my YYF bearings spin less longer than my other bearings. I am not sure why, though.

I have noticed a sort of decline in the standard YYF bearings. Most people hate Center Tracs but I don’t mind them at all. I actually prefer them to a SPEC. I just got a Skyline yesterday for my birthday and I had to switch the SPEC within an hour for a Center Trac. It plays x10 better now and lost its slight vibe when it was stock. Also my Yuuksta has one and its lasted for months now. A spec doesn’t last more than a couple weeks for me now as opposed to some of my older throws where they’ve had one ever since I got it which is about a year for a couple. Decline in quality for SPEC.

The bearings by terrapin x blow them all away and I have had them all.

That’s pretty interesting, maybe that’s why YYF can mark some of their yoyo’s down to such low prices XD.

I honestly have no idea where to find terrapin’s, but I’ve heard the same thing from tons of people.

They’re only sold through eBay. His ID is fjh123 and they can also be found on some other yoyo site’s forums under the same name :smiley:

I think the reason they are dropping prices is because a lot of their throws are made in China now and they have started using lower grades of aluminum. I also just want to say that they sent me that Skyline with an 8mm axel instead of a 12mm. I’ve been having to switch the axel out with my Yuuksta until the correct sized axel they said they would send me arrives. :’(

Just looked it up, thanks! :slight_smile:

That’s one of the other things I don’t love about YYF, half of their yoyo’s are made in China now. From my experience they seem to be pretty good with customer service so your axle should get to you soon. Kinda weird that that would happen though.

I have experienced their customer service before with my vibey Severe. They replaced the yoyo, and through in a DVD, Protostar, stickers, and a beat up Genesis. Greatest customer service ever!

i personally hate my yoyofactory bearing in my pgm so i bought a yyf spec bearing and i didnt like that either so i bought a kk bearing and feel in love i also dont like yyj speed bearing after a while the balls start gring on the metal i lube it but it still happened so i just use kk bearings and never have a problem