HandBlown mini glass yoyo - 5a counterweight novelty

25$ plus shipping

I told you guys I’d have a surprise for you today! Here is a HandBlown borosilicate mini yoyo “counterweight” I made! I use parentheses because I’m gonna have to sell it as “novelty, not intended for actual use” because someone’s is gonna accidentally hit a metal yoyo at highspeed and shatter things and hurt themselves or someone else, but this would be a great pendant for a necklace or keychain, and to be honest, might be a little on the heavy side but isn’t a bad counterweight at all. Might make the next one an itty bit smaller to reduce weight if I notice people have an interest and I make more. Thanks for looking!!

7 Likes

I used to make these, and they can be sellable, and useable, if you are annealing them in a kiln. Try making them without the weld. They are surprisingly strong when not welded. I never heard of a single one breaking, but I saw one bend a matador spkie. Just use solid rod and weigh out glass and color before making them to get that perfect weight. Make them simple to keep the price low. Simple fume and a bit of frit.
Great to see someone making these:)

3 Likes

I can contest that @dizzo dizzo is highly skilled at making these as I still have a couple of these he made. Oh yeah…the good ol’ days of Dizzo balls at YYN - Hahaha

1 Like

I always anneal in a kiln forsure! But I did try to weld and use disco sparkle grey for the “bearing” on this one and practiced some 5a with it and snapped it at the weld lmao!! You’re saying I should use one chunk of colored rod and punty up to each side and heat up section of it and push a Maria on eAch side of the center of the colored rod to make them I think?

And sadly I can’t fume yet because I’ve been working without proper ventilation for years but fuming is one level of toxicity I’m not comfortable with playing around with without a decent vent/vent hood!

Yup! You dont vent, you dont fume!
Yes, I used one chunk of rod as the main body. I used clear because its so much cheaper. toss some color on and gather on each side.
Ill see if I can find some old pics.

Wow. I cant believe I found this.
Imgur

2 Likes

I’d definitely be interested in a functional one. I’ve already got plenty of “decorative” glass pieces though.

1 Like

Awesome man I’ll give it a go and let everyone know how it goes!! I appreciate the insight on this matter! And Following dizzo’s instruction I should have a usually one ready in a day or two!

Just have to wait for my fiancé to get off of her night shift because she has the digital scales on her and I want to weigh the glass rod used for the yoyo this time lmfaoooo

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.