Good or Bad? Reusing a prelim routine.

Is it a good idea to use a prelim that you’ve done before that was good enough to get you into finals? For my first contest I placed 3rd in prelim but made a ton of mistakes in finals and was unable to land almost anything. I’ll be competing at West Coast Yo-Yo Championships later this month. I really enjoyed what I did for my prelim and this time around I want to focus more on my finals routine. My prelim wasn’t perfect but I did well in it and I would like to try and execute it with no mistakes. Maybe change a couple things in that one minute but keep the main setup of the routine. Have any of you done this before? what do you think?

If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! Sounds it did well for you before, and if you feel hitting it clean and maybe a few tweaks could be done, I say go for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see why not. Probably no one will even be aware that it’s the same routine, as well as the judges will probably all be different.

1 Like

You’re competing at West Coast too? Nice! so will I :smiley: I’m currently doing the same thing. Just changing up my freestyle. I’m working on putting in new combo’s that I just finished, and practicing to hit everything. I was very surprised of my freestyle at IYYC. I did better than I expected. Reusing isn’t good or bad; but up to you if you feel that it is necessary.

1 Like

Especially for prelims, I think it’s actually preferable to use a routine you’ve done before and are comfortable with. If you watch prelims/semis at Worlds, a lot of top level players like Anthony Rojas use nearly identical qualifying freestyles from previous years. Obviously you can improve your prelim as you see fit, but if you can hit it consistently and know you’ll score enough points to qualify, there’s no harm in sticking with something familiar. Save the new stuff for your freestyle!

1 Like