Gentry's Wyyc video viral?! & Gentry making Headlines (Merged)

Im worried about this too, but more yoyoers also equals more yoyo companies and yoyoing thrives. More yoyoers is good, but also I wouldn’t want it to be in something like the x-games.
Yoyoing is its own thing, and I really wouldn’t want it mainstream enough to be in the x-games to be honest.

Yep, sorry.

My bad reaction to the MTV framing bled over onto my reading of your response. This means it’s time for me to step away from the internet for a bit.

I love when yoyoing gets some exposure I would like to see 1 out of 5 people yoyoing that would be sweet do you know how many more tricks, companies, yoyos there would be? It would be amazing but there would be a lot more people that hate the sport

I didn’t take offense to anything MTV had to say. It may have been overzealous, but it wasn’t a blood thirsty description either. You have to put into account that these are non yoyoers trying their best to describe a world that is totally new to them. Passion and intensity can be taken many different ways. It’s there first time analyzing a yoyo competition I don’t expect them to be an expert. They didn’t get everything correct, nor did I expect them too. Hopefully this is only the first step. Maybe I’m weird, but one day I’d love to see yoyo on ESPN.

5 Likes

I’m glad to see your thinking positively :wink:
I think with more and more exposure it will really form into a sport and seeing how the sum of money forwinning is going up it would be something that you could potentially live off of

I couldn’t have said it better myself! I agree 100%

He won two contests, calm down.

Yeah… Two major contests within the span of a year

What I’m wondering is Gentry really 18? He looks like he’s 23.

And LeBron won 2 titles, then bolted for home. Does this mean Gentry’s going to leave YYF? Will they be burning Shutter t-shirts in the streets of AZ?

Yeah! I thought he was at least 23

It did. Yahoo also made an article about it and how the top 3 were from Hungary, Singapore, and Mexico instead of the usual USA and Japan.
Dane Cook sharing the video to his 1 million followers also helped.

What did Jensen do?

Ran across this article, really interesting.

Quote: “In further proof that Americans can and will dominate any sport we get our hands on, California native Gentry Stein is the new yo-yo 1A freestyle world champ.”

Yeah,

dominated 2a
dominated 3a
dominated 4a
dominated 5a
dominated AP

Oh wait, let me go do some real research.
That was all Japan.

4 Likes

It’s the World Yoyo Contest, of course it gets views, just like every single other year…

1 Like

HAHAHAHA!!! I love this post. Thanks!

on the PDS gentry stien was mentioned on it

Apparently Janos was 18 when he won too? He also looks like he’s in his 20s. Maybe I’m just bad at judging yoyoers actual ages.

Nathan’s right, this is all going to blow over in a week or two, these few articles aren’t going to make yoyoing much if any more.

But don’t get me wrong, I’ve always wished yoyoing could get as popular as something like skating but it won’t be happening anytime soon, these types of articles pop up every now and then(I think they did last year when Janos won too) but it doesn’t change much.