Gap width and stability

How much does this determine tilt resistance and overall stability? We know that steeper walls on say an organic shape is easier to push the yoyo off axis during play. But how much does the string pushing against the yoyo that close to the center influence this?

2 Likes

Flat bearing or centering bearing?

1 Like

Whichever is preferred. We are talking strictly gap width here.

Gap width (and pad thickness/depth/whatever) mostly affects string layering and accidental contact during otherwise clean mounts. Wider gaps help prevent this sort of string contact with the pads.

3 Likes

Yes I understand that.

1 Like

How much would you say string contact on the pads effects stability?

It usually is only an issue in specific situations. It’s also one part in many factors that affect stability. Generally, a yoyo with <4mm gap will have trouble with some heavily layered mounts, especially with a flat bearing, especially with thicker string. Thin string and strong centering bearings make it easier to get through mounts like that without the yoyo dragging and slowing down.

1 Like

What if i told you a higher walled yoyo is easier to “push” back into plane/tilt?

Its all perspective I guess.

Everyone else talking about string gaps rings true imo

2 Likes

Yes it is. Easier to tilt, easier to correct.

Yes sir… I will watch and listen intently to learn from you…

Sorry about the silly question and thinking it may have some contributing value…

My bad…

1 Like

If you want to break it down with explanations for different setups that would be cool. I was more thinking to put all other variables aside to focus just on gap width but obviously yoyo stuff can get pretty complex and alot of things can factor in.