Gaming facts you were shocked about?

I will list a few. I would love to hear your facts/knowledge/views on gaming history.(I have 7 years worth of learned knowledge in terms of gaming history. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask, though i may not be 100% correct on everything).

1.The wii u is 10 years old this year

2. The gamecube is 21 years old this year.

3. The virtual boy sold only 770,000 units worldwide, being cheaply made and rushed out, with no good games added. Just to have something before the release of the N64. They wanted something cheap that wouldn’t get them sued (they got none of that).

4. The mario franchise has 200+ titles in the series. (depends on whether you would consider some spinoffs and dlc games into the mix or not).
5. The worst selling console from a mainstream video game company was the Atari jaguar in the 5th generation selling roughly selling 150,000 units. ending the company entirely. Atari went completely defunct on June 26th 1992.

3 Likes

Jeez, what is this thread? “I’m gonna tell you you’re old without telling you you’re old?”

I remember the Jaguar being announced. And hyped. It was the most powerful system that had come out…never saw one in real life. The marketing for it was terrible and the availibility even worse. Not surprised it failed.

Never got to try a Virtual Boy either. Really wanted to at the time they just never arrived at local stores.

6 Likes

If people want to see what it was… interesting backstory.

2 Likes

yep this was just me trying to boil down gaming history to where everyone could understand. was wondering if there were any retro gamers on here

1 Like

I love retro games. I’ve just never felt the desire to talk about them on a yoyo forum before. I grew up with the Saturn and N64, so that’s always been my favorite generation of games. The Saturn especially is my favorite console.

Also as somebody who used to own a Virtual Boy, don’t listen to youtubers overblow the console as being bad. It was a massive failure, but there’s a handful of fun stuff on it. VB Wario Land, Telerobox, Bound High, and Red Alarm are my favorites on the system.

5 Likes

that super famicom looks nice, how did you obtain it

It was my best friend’s childhood SFC actually, he grew up in Japan and gifted it to me when we graduated highschool and parted ways. That’s actually the only console I’m specifically sentimental towards.

1 Like

Can’t identify any of those consoles but I hope you don’t use that L-trac for any FPS games, it’s an unfair advantage over the mousers. :grin:

Ivan

2 Likes

I remember wanting a Jaguar really bad, until I got a SNES and forgot all about it.

I got to try a Virtual Boy at a store when they were out and all I remember is it being really hard on the eyes. Everything was red, so it was kinda like staring into a laser pointer.

1 Like

It’s fairly well known but:
The original Roller Coaster Tycoon was written by one guy in almost pure x86 assembly.

Also, that Concerned Ape wrote the code and made all of the original art (including music and story) for Stardew Valley.

What makes these achievements really special is that both of those games are so much fun. I know I’ve sunk at least a hundred hours into each.

Over the course of 5 years which the first four Halo games take place, Master Chief and his AI Cortana only spent 49 days together.

1 Like

I remember being surprised that people didn’t like the original ME trilogy ending, and then being shocked that anybody actually liked the castrated Disney ending better. The original ending is still canon to me because it actually elicited emotion when I played it.

Ivan

1 Like

In pokemon red and blue your character is never in the center of the screen. That blew my mind.

Apparently Devil May Cry was originally being developed as a resident evil game. However it felt too different and was split off as its own game. I always thought this was interesting.

3 Likes

Dead Space was also heavily inspired by Resident Evil. Specifically 4 I believe.

1 Like

Atari 400 desktop “ Caverns of Mars “ for hours.

This whole channel is phenomenal. Well researched, none of that YouTube yelling that most creators seem to do.

1 Like

That’s cool. I love the Devil May Cry games. But not Resident Evil. So that was a smart move I think.

1 Like