Flat Bearing

I don’t think that’s a fair way to look at this.

On the other hand, I do think that exactly concave versus other shapes is a fair method of enforcing the patent, particularly because I don’t feel full concave is that great of a technical solution anyways, for the reasons I already stated.

Which patent was this?

3 Likes

flat bearings are unique, dEAL wITH it

variety is good

if you want the string to be centered, just put in your own

1 Like

It seems to me that there’s some quite simple issues at stake here:

1. Different people prefer different bearing. In other words, there’s not a single bearing that will please everyone. Some people love the OD 10 ball, some don’t. Those who don’t can replace the 10 ball with whatever bearing they want. OD deserves mad props for not taking manufacturing shortcuts that compel folks to not remove the bearing for fear of galling.

2. One Drop is a privately owned company with the liberty to decide how they want to run their business and roll in the world. If they don’t think it’s ethical to proceed in a way that they feel infringes on Frank’s patent, that’s their right. Full stop.

YoYoGeezer has a long and illustrious history of trolling One Drop … it’s gotta be getting close to ten years of it. Let’s not feed the trolls, folks.

10 Likes

That you are ridiculous.

I really don’t know the answer to your questions; which I’m amazed I was able to elicit with one little joke, except it should be, “Who made” not “What makes”.

You have curved bearings in your lawnmower? Pics please. Do they center your pull cord?

Yes patents can stifle innovation, that’s why they only last 20 years. They also can encourage innovation, by helping inventors feel the motivation to put hard work into creating something, because they have some assurance that they will have protection for compensation for their work for a time.

3 Likes

I didn’t say he deserves any money or any particular thing. I didn’t tell anyone else what to do. I’m just explaining what our choice is. Not sure why you are extrapolating all that. You clearly have an axe to grind.

5 Likes

Woah, why though?

1 Like

Well, he was replying to me, but yeah…

True, but he’s impugning us in there. I take it as a compliment that he’s so invested in thinking about us. haha

6 Likes

For our entertainment. :rofl:

2 Likes

Your comments are childish. Calling me names simply indicates you have nothing material to say. If this was a debate, you would be cut-off.

Sorry David, in case you have not noticed, I do not respond to you. My comments had nothing to do with you; or One Drop. I was only commenting on this idea of “respect” being the reason behind perpetuating a practice of fleecing American yo-yo players that wish to buy a curved bearing.

Please return to abusing anyone online that dares to disagree with you.

1 Like

If you don’t want to talk to me, maybe don’t comment in my AMA?? Also, I was the one who brought up “respect” so you were clearly targeting us.

How exactly does one “fleece” American yoyo players who wish to buy a curved bearing? Nothing we are doing prevents anyone from buying a curved bearing. You could even make the case we encourage it by making our bearings posts the correct size so it’s easy to swap the bearing out. I want our customers to use the bearing they prefer.

I’m not trying to get anyone to agree with me, but rather simply explaining our decision to not ship our yoyos with concave bearings. You keep doing this weird straw man thing where you imagine you can read my mind and then state it as fact. It’s weird dude.

6 Likes

Replacing a stock bearing with one I like better costs me no more than $6. Why anyone would be so concerned over the manufacturer’s choice of bearing, or their reasons for choosing it, is beyond me.

Sure, I find it mildly convenient that, for instance, MonkeyFingeR puts grooved centering bearings in their yoyos stock, but if they didn’t I wouldn’t give it any more thought than is required to swap it out for one.

2 Likes

Definition of “Fleece”, in this context, I guess?
1 to strip of money or property by fraud or extortion
2 to charge excessively for goods or services

Also, commenting or debating a poorly-made and ill thought out reply is akin to abuse?!? Damn man, you might look into decaf.

3 Likes

While the cost of 1 bearing may not be so high, if you buy many One Drop yoyos, the cost to replace each bearing can add up. Personally, I always try to keep the stock bearing in the yoyos I get; I don’t want to pay extra to replace every flat bearing comes with yoyos I purchase.

1 Like

Well if we shipped with concave bearings then anyone who wanted flat bearings would have the same problem. This critique can be made of anyone making yoyos as I don’t think anyone ships with both (which would mean you are still paying for one you don’t want).

Our customers seem to be about 50/50 on which kind they like so not matter what half the people will be replacing the bearing.

7 Likes

Given the cost of “many One Drop yoyos,” $6 each is a drop in the bucket.

Besides, you’d have the same problem in reverse if you preferred flat bearings. Think of all those yoyos out there that ship with CenterTracs. You’d have to pay that premium to replace them with flats.

Having a bearing preference is going to cost you one way or the other usually. And that cost is pretty minimal. It’s certainly not worth getting one’s panties in a bunch over.

4 Likes

I completely understand! In the end, it all boils down to personal preference, not really something that a yoyo company should have to deal with, unless there is a general consensus within the yoyo community.

1 Like

Totally :slight_smile: And the way we deal with it is to put a high priority on getting the bearing post size correct (not an easy thing to do) so that customers are able to easily change the bearing.

4 Likes

As I said, my comments are not about you, or One Drop.

… sorry.