Fingerspin dimple on the SKYVA

Curious on the SKYVA fingerspin dimple. While the concept had been attempted before the SKYVA - you were definitely the first to hit it out of the park. It had never been easier to ‘lock in’ a finger spin and keep it going for what is still pretty incredible lengths of time.

Did the idea for the dimple come ‘before’ the actual SKYVA design itself? Or did you have a shape and then try to find that ‘thing’ that could differentiate the SKYVA? Was there an ‘AHA’ movement and knew you could do it better than it had been done? I know you re-machined the plastic to get it so smooth - was that planned on from the beginning?

It definitely has been one of the great innovations of modern yo-yo! :raised_hands:

I still remember being so impressed that off a snap start it would just go!

All hail SKYVA!

5 Likes

Funny story about that, I dont know if I told anyone how that exactly happened.

I was messing around with a First Base prototype I was helping Tyler with, and I tried to do a fingerspin with it. And it was fun to make it kind of hover around the edge of the flat hub (Like you do with the Dark Magic with a cap back in the day). I kept doing that for a while, and when I was talking to Magicyoyo about the Skyva, I was thinking “oh it would be cool to have a yoyo to lock in place instead of just wandering around”. And after that I just ran with the Fingerspin idea. So they came together by accident, and I’m pretty sure I have a version of the skyva with a flat hub too lol.

Later on I remembered that Yoyojam had done the lateral caps before, and Im sure there were tons of other yoyos with dimple based designs. Even the Miroc Air Rider had a dimple advertised for finger spins (but back then it wasn’t popular at all). One of the coolest was a Generalyo yoyo, I can’t remember which one but it has this ring with a spike in the middle.

Hope that gives you more insight on where the design came from.

6 Likes

Ed Harponik and Luna Harran are probably the only other people who can do that snap start.

5 Likes

IKR!? That was crazy!

2 Likes

Can I call this operation skyva.

1 Like

Those top players!!! Lol!

3 Likes

OK, so I’ve just spent 10 minutes confirming that while I can do a strong enough horizontal snap start, I still can’t even land a fingerspin on a Skyva. #lifegoals

7 Likes