Feel like a noob

I feel like I have been here for a while and very active with the yoyo community but i feel like a noob still. I dont really go in depth with buying a yoyo. i like undersized yoyos and thats all i know. I dont really look at specs i just buy yoyos that look good and say undersized. lol i can play pretty good but i just feel like i dont have as much yoyo knowledge as some of you guys. Anyone else have this feeling? I also get this feeling because i never do any yoyo maintenance at all. I dont clean or lube my bearings or tune the axle, satin, polish etc. Does anyone else not lube or not do general maintenance ? :-\ :-\ :-\ i feel like a noob.

not everyone is going to want to mod. it will probably help you learn more about yoyos, but you dont have to mod. i used to feel like i didnt know anything about what anyone was talkig about. if you hear something you dont know google it. thats what i do. finally, at one time sometime, you will have to clean your bearing. or get a new one. if you dont clean it it will lock up, make noise, or spin not as long. i hope this helps.

i do the exact same things no need to feel like a noob

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I buy yoyos based on what looks good. Mostly I haven’t been disappointed that way. Maintenance - I clean bearings very rarely. Lube them occasionally.

everyday…

mgodinez

cloudy…

Don’t fix what’s not broken.

I don’t buy new yoyos but maybe once every year or so.
I only lube bearings. I can wait the 20 mins for the excess lube too fall out.
the only mods I do, are filing down burs on the yoyo.
I have done all that other stuff in the past though.
Modern yoyos don’t need mods.

I wouldn’t really say 100% noob but I wouldn’t just go by looks to get a yo-yo. I wouldn’t call myself a newb but when I jumped back into the yo-yo scene in 2009 after a 10-year hiatus, there were tons of new things for me to learn. I was just a bit ‘outdated.’ To this day, the most ‘high-end’ yo-yo I use are my Popstar, Maverick (I don’t care what anyone says about Yomega, I love this yo-yo), and Drifter…things that a lot of expert players may see as entry level stuff. But I still rock 'em, learning new things on them, and so on. As for myself, I would say that I’m intermediate-advanced.

A recommendation, I wouldn’t get a yo-yo just because it ‘looks’ cool. Sure that could be one of the factors but I’d definitely know about different response systems and what they do/how they perform. You may end up getting one you think was cool for a week then find that it’s not for you.

Like everyone else said, not everyone mods. I don’t really do anything to mine. They all perform how I like with a few tweaks (like removing a pad, or breaking in/cleaning a bearing). Otherwise, if it isn’t broken, why fix it?