Ethical Yoyoing Questions???

Haha, what tricks are you referring to that cannot be done on a fixed axle? I assure you you are wrong, ask Ed, he has some pretty good videos. Can you do Plastic whip on a Fixed Axle? Ed can :smiley:

An insanely long one?

An insanely long fixed axle? Or plastic whip?
(Make sure we know what you’re reffering to ;))

Oh, an insanely long trick. I’m sure only a few people can do very complex tricks with a fixed axle. As in length of the trick.

With ball bearings, most people can do it with practice.

I think that finishing the trick within the spin time of the yoyo is half the challenge as well as half the fun. By adding a motor to it, I feel you’d be taking away the need for good, strong throws and take away from something that makes yoyoing so awesome. I would fight getting one for myself and i wouldn’t respect anybody that used them nearly as much as than if they’d be using a fixed or a bearing yoyo.

If this situation were to occur with motorized yoyos, sure, longer, more complex tricks would come about. But that yoyo generation would become even more dependent on their technology, just as many of us are with bearings, but because of this dependency, they could recognize that people that can do those future tricks on a non-motorized bearing are amazingly skilled and look up to them, Like it is with us and looking up to people that can do the modern tricks on wood like ed on his no-jive. Just imagine how amazed they would be at people who could to the future tricks on wood! I’m impressed just thinking about it. :o

There ARE tricks that exist that cannot be done on a fixed axle, I assure you: A variety of grinds and stalls, possibly gyroscopic flop, and others, I am certain. However, there are little tricks out there that cannot be done by one.

Well this is my final post on this thread, I wont argue with people over something so far fetched, Digging Eagle, PM me and tell me the tricks that can NOT be done on a fixed axle. I know you can flop them, I know you can grind them, and if you can grind you can stall… so… yeah, respectfully, you are WRONG. Plastic whip if broken down is just a slack to a whip. The slack part being the difficult thing to do on a fixed axle; difficult, not impossible. So if the same motion is generated one can EASILY grind or stall. As for a flop, there is no reason why a fixed axle cant be flopped PERIOD. Again, I wont waste my time correcting people on a thread this far fetched.

If you don’t like what I had to say, oh well it is the truth, and sometimes that is hard to swallow.

Let me just list a few things

1. If you had a moterized yoyo, the shape would probaly be more like a cylinder than a butterfly shape.

2. A moterized yoyo could rely on a throw. The centifulger button (spelling) would rely on a strong throw to start it and with a stronger throw, the button will be pushed down longer so theoreticly, it would sleep longer so the better your throw is, the longer it will sleep.

3. There would also be the problem of the batteries. If the yoyo could short circut and could fry the whole yoyo ( and your hand if you were touching it) so no matter how good you are you could greatly increase your chances of getting hurt.

4. It might change many play styles. How would you do offstring with an cylinder yo-yo?

5. There would be different types. On some, beginners might be able to make it sleep 10 min. there might be double moter, single moter, silenced moter, etc.

P.S. ( Has anyone noticed some posts on this thread are insanley long? )

Sorry about the spelling, I’m 11 and not good at really long words.

I remember when bearings came out. They got scorned too. But look at us now. :wink:

Motorized yoyos would be ok. If yoyoers wouldn´t accept change then every modern yoyo would still be wooden fixed axle, not ball bearing. That a new yoyo tecnology is invented doesn´t mean we have to discard the old one, as an example: today the new tecnology is ball bearings and you still see fixed wooden axle yoyos.

Even if they would be made cylindrical they could come adapted with rims to make it butterfly shaped.

I don’t know, can you have a triangle motor?

think about what ed says, yes, the day might come.

think about it, they will eventualy make a smaller motor and a right sized cells to powered them, and some people would put it in a yoyo. invent a certain technology, and it would become like nothing we can think about now.

but, i got a funny thinking now.
you see, any other sport that really like by most people is something that stay analog.
digitalize sometimes do inapropriate.

soccer, basketball, football, golf stays with a “normal” ball instead trying to put something that can control where the ball is going.

Very well said! I recall when I got my first ‘ball bearing yo-yos’ (Yomegas) there was a feeling that I was cheating myself if I couldn’t do it on a fixed axle too… and also if I could only land stuff using a butterfly and not an imperial! Gotta keep it real!! Wow, that was a while ago.

Great topic for discussion though - I mean the idea of it seems to really ask, will there ever be a point where yoyo ‘technology’ advances will need to stop due to unanimous opinion that it has bastardized the activity such that it is no longer recognizable as a skill. (yo yo ball? lol) Brings to mind some kind of sci fi debate about cloning or genetic engineering -are they still real people? haha

Anyway, I think the answer is ‘no’ it won’t get there