Electrical Contact cleaner = Smoothest bearing ever

Wd40 is a lube not a cleaner

WD-40 is not recommended for use in yoyo bearings.

I tried to tell my dad that and he was like Back in my dayā€¦ (not really) but that is what I thought

im not sure what you used, so I cant vouch for it.

But this stuff Is safe for plastic, the connections i cleaned at work were plastic clips, and I have cleaned a few bearings in the cap and the cap is not damaged at all.

Great Advice, gloves are a good idea too.

ā€¦as for the WD-40, i use it a lot but never on my bearings. It leaves a nasty, sticky residue that collects dust like crazy.

Ok I recleaned my bearings after the WD-40 and there cool. I have 2 more Qā€™s 1: will I need to use my bearings alot after cleaning for them to spin longest
2. on my yyj legacy 1 should I clean them and if so how?[shadow=red,left][/shadow]

Gloves
Safety Goggles
Parent Supervision

Please do this safe , it can make you blind , paralyzed , hospitalized , You could possibly die;.

2 Likes

#1 They will need to dry out but other then hat no.
#2 If it is responsive or feels like there is dust inside it yes, you clean it like you cleaned the wd-40 bearings (mineral spirits, etc.).

I suggest this. Itā€™s what i use.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172753-12704-40-610_4294821477_4294937087_?productId=3127949&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr

It will break down that oily residue left behind by that wd40. This will leave your bearing clean and dry and will have virtually no break in time. It will give you long, smooth spins.

Iā€™ll try to get the money and when I doā€¦ Bearings Iā€™m coming for you!

Actually your wrong. Icthus has used it in bearings for years. Ask him.

I used WD-40 in a bearing, and its fine: just not unresponsive.

yeah Iā€™m looking for the least amount of response though.

Quote from a reputable source:

But hey I suppose everyone has their own techniques for what works for them.

You just put less on it.

Some quotes from icthus;

1 Like

Actually neither of you are wrong. Just because some one uses it doesnā€™t mean its ā€œrecommendedā€

I DO NOT recommend it for cleaning or lubing your yo yo bearings.

Of course It does NOT ruin your bearingsā€¦ But WD 40 is not a lubricant, while yes it seems slippery to the touch, it is actually designed to remove water. Itā€™s name WD40 stands for ā€œWater Displacement #40ā€ it is the final product in a whole run of chemicalsā€¦ It was the #40 version. It will deteriorate Urethane and other petroleum products. And the residue attracts dust and grimes up pretty bad. WD40 is great for storing bearings, Just spay into a zip lock and drop a bearing or 2 in there, But when its time to use them, Iā€™d clean it all off. But I would never use it to clean or lube my precious 10balls.

WD-40 is generally not recommended as a cleaner since it leaves a sticky, dust attracting film on the bearings. Note, however, that some people do use WD-40. It has become somewhat of a heavily-debated topic.

To Clean I suggest Electrical Contact Cleaner. Leaves the bearing VERY clean and Dry with NO residue. I choose not to lube, as I prefer a dry bearing. But if you choose to lube you a good thin lube like v4m, yyf thin, or something of the sort.

im just spit ballin here, but maybe this thread should be stickiedā€¦ at least for a little while, if this stuff is really that great then im sure other people will want to see it before this thread falls through the cracks

Iā€™m sure more people will need to try it and post their experience.

Personally I love it.

It wonā€™t get stickied. Itā€™s just another solvent. As for me, I rest my case.

Its been 4 weeks and I am still getting great results with this stuff. ;D