Duncan Presents: Orbital and Grasshopper GTX 2.0! - Releasing 4/27/23 - 8pm ET!

can you describe for which players/tricks orbital gtx 2.0 is more geared towards to? I have the GTR JS and kind of tempted to buy either the grasshopper 2.0 or orbital 2.0 too haha

4 Likes

Not @suspense obviously but will chime in as well, since like him, I’ve tried both the new Grasshopper and Orbital GTX. To me, the new Grasshopper absolutely mops the floor w/ the new Orbital. You can tell that the new Grasshopper retains much of the well loved solid overall feel of the original. However this is not the case for the Orbital GTX 2 - while the catch feel has been improved thanks to the rounded-off rims (that were previously & comically way too sharp), this new version suffers from not having the same feel in play as the old Orbital GTX, which was very honestly the only redeeming aspect of the old one in my view. The old Orbital GTX was quick and aggressive, whereas this new one is sluggish and heavy (and not a nice, well distributed heavy, like TP throws) due to the three+ gram weight increase. This weight increase combined with making it slightly less wide, entirely takes away the play feel of the OG, to the point where I think it almost should’ve been called a different yoyo. No yoyos are really bad these days, but if you can only choose one - without a doubt go with the Grasshopper GTX 2.

As far as who these are for, I feel like the GTR lineup is more geared towards speed, meta, and zontals stuff, whereas the GTX line is better for more tech oriented stuff. Obviously you can use whatever for either style and it’ll be totally great… but the wider width and decreased weight of the GTR line makes it great for the things I mentioned, just as the slightly decreased width and higher weight of the GTX stuff gives it a slight edge for tech stuff.

8 Likes

Interesting. . . The orbital gtx og is fun and can play really quick its more for speed grasshopper gtx and gtr are more weighted and for stable great spin time is what i like. Grasshopper 2.0 looks awesome and prefer the colors i dont like the new colors for orbital 2 except the black and ss rims

2 Likes

Really great inputs so far for both Grasshopper GTX 2.0 and Orbital GTX 2.0. I appreciate all the love and inputs! <3

As far as the Orbital GTX 2.0 - we’ve seen a similar pattern for this yo-yo. It’s a love and hate relationship… The first few months of the original Orbital GTX release, it was pretty stale. The community doesn’t understand the benefits and feature of this product ‘yet’. Then after a year and the meta has changed, the amount of sales is almost surpassing the Grasshopper GTX.

It definitely felt different compared to any other standard yo-yos. When I say “standard”, it’s what people wanted. Most of the companies these days knows how to design yo-yos, even the consumer. For this yo-yo, we took the risk and released it and understood that it might take a while for the community to understand the feature of this yo-yo.

Based on our team’s comment and from Tal Mordoch himself, it’s really great for controlled rail combos, hops and quick pull and change direction.

Lastly, regarding the differences between GTR vs GTX, when we design competition yo-yo, we think of it as a whole. The look might could be the same, but the playability is different from each other. This is also the reason why it’s easier for us to release all the fun yo-yos like Freebird/Freehand/Butterfly compared to competition yo-yos. Everyone is involved and has inputs, and the development is twice as long.

We’ll release a video explaining the differences of our competition line up once Polo’s yo-yo is released. Our competition line up will be set for a while. <3

12 Likes

All I can say is I love the Grasshopper GTX 2.0. Been giving it good time the last few days and its a banger for sure. Love the sound too

3 Likes

1 Like

“supersecretbaby”

12 Likes

Very good info i love the orbital gtx i still play with and its great v2 should be better more weight right more stability. I just got the grasshopper gtx 2.0 right now as im texting this. VERY IMPRESSED WOW GOOD JOB TEAM DUNCAN. It plays great feels more stable good binds really love the red will pist pics

Its great in throwing down now and its like stable long spin too like og mines has a sound too is it kinda like a metal sound tiny. I changed bearing to same konkave same thing but no vibe thank god lmao its a winner. My gtr has a little vibe but this is great so far

1 Like

Ok I have to wait until this get released because it looks insane!

2 Likes

Is the Grasshopper 2.0 that much different than the OG? I love the colors, but I don’t want to double down. Was considering the Orbital, but I’m going to wait for a review, I think. Also, @bjardin, when is the JS going to get some color updates? Would love to get a blasted clear, but there’s only been red and blue for a while.

I didn’t have my OG Grasshopper on me when I was trying the new one, but I can say it’s quite a bit closer to the OG than the Orbital GTX 2 is closer to it’s OG. The Grasshopper definitely felt like a Grasshopper but I can’t say the same for the Orbital.

Yesss dude, so so so in for a blasted clear (w/ rainbow rims? :eyes:)… JS is my favorite performance throw of all time and that would be killer on it. Insta cop.

5 Likes

So I caved and got the new Grasshopper GTX 2.0, and for my final word, it’s fantastic! It’s faster and lighter feeing which I think makes it different enough to justify a purchase. That said, if I had neither, I’d pick up the 2.0 and be done. It’s similar, but the feel is remarkably more maneuverable than the OG. It’s just a more fluid play than the OG while retaining the power and stability.

In trying to figure out why, I put them side by side. The two things I noticed are the inner cup face (hub?) is smaller along with the larger axle which creates the nub. Additionally, the width is a tiny bit smaller. My guess is the weight distribution is more to the middle which alleviates some of the “heaviness” of the OG. Either way, fantastic upgrade.

7 Likes