Duncan Metal Drifter spacer question

I’m pretty new to yoyoing, and just recently received a Duncan Metal Drifter as a gift. So far, I love it, but wish I could make it a bit more unresponsive.

I did some searching, and everyone says to replace the silver spacers for the wider brass ones.

The only problem, that I haven’t been able to find anyone mentioning, is that it looks like there are NO spacers in mine. It’s just solid metal, with nothing to take out.

Is there something completely stupid that I’m missing, or did they make a change to how they’re made, that no longer uses a spacer system?

1 Like

Mine came with the brass spacers pre-installed and the aluminum ones in a little area that was easily seen through the package, along with the CW. I didn’t get mine all that long ago either. I think around August? Just sitting on the peg.

Did you get this new in the package?

I could see how someone might be silly enough to glue in the spacers, but I doubt it. You can remove one sticker and clean the bearing out using mineral spirits or lighter fluid(see videos on how to clean bearings).

Also, I think the Terrapin X A+ Beefcake Kit or the newer Wide Bearing for FHZ might be options to explore in addition to the other stuff.

I did get mine new in the packaging.

All that came with it was the yoyo, string, and a gold skull-shaped counterweight, but no extra spacers.

I know the Metal Zero comes with brass and silver, but nowhere has mentioned this one (Metal Drifter) as coming with extra spacers… people just say to take the brass ones from another yoyo and switch them out, but there’s nothing for me to “switch out” on this one… Looking down the hole for the axle, it looks to be solid metal, not “yoyo + spacer”, which is why I’m rather confused.

No spacers, the Metal Drifter has a regular bearing seat like most metals.

I must have confused the Metal Drifter’s packaging with that of my FHZ’s and FH2’s. Well, the FHZ Pulse does not include spacers. If I would have just gone over to the case I keep the Metal Drifter in and unscrewed it, I’d have noticed that!

I’m anxious to see fjh123’s recommendation is so I can order it. Actually, I might hold off as I’m debating sending a FHZ and some FH2’s out for mods, and then order some “real bearings” for them.

Unless they changed it, the Metal Drifter should only come with a counter weight and a set of silver spacers installed . The spacers act as the bearing seat, Sometimes, gunk from friction stickers gets on the spacers, making them harder to come out.

That silver section in the middle: that is the spacer, and it should fall out if you turn the yoyo half over.

Here is a brass spacer in the same place on a FH2

Also, you can buy a set of all the spacers and an extra bearing. This comes with all the metal spacers and some rubber spacers.
http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/71/Duncan-Bearing-and-Parts-Kit

1 Like

They can be a little tough to get out, and that often confuses people. As haystack said the bearig kit is a great way to get all of the spacers. As unresponsiveness is what you need a good bearig cleaning will help a lot as well; forums/index.php/topic,871.0.html

Those pics are what every review of the Metal Drifter looks like… mine looks for all the world to be solid metal though. I’ll post some pics when I get home… but where there is very clearly a gap between the yoyo cap and the spacer in your first pic, there is no gap at all and just solid metal in mine.

Or clean the bearing with lighter fluid and then take both stickers out then replace both stickers with with 1 silicone sticker.

I your not scared to bust it, you could try pliers, just not sure how strong the metal used in the spacers is.