Does this forum create "yo-yo envy"?

Yea, I sort of see an unhealthy materialistic trend in the yoyo community. Yoyo reviewers are basically thinly veiled advertisements for yoyo companies, and it works really well. But it doesnt end with just the reviewers; people in the community have a spending addiction and hype new yoyos endlessly, which makes people want to buy them. Then you have boutique companies that make limited drops, and you either pull the trigger or are unable to obtain said yoyo (unless you go the BST route, which is limited and can be risky). I get that the yoyo community wouldn’t be able to operate without all of these sales, but the compulsion to endlessly buy yoyos is definitely apparent to me (as a relatively new initiate). I remember seeing a post by a kid whose parents no longer wanted him on this forum because they thought it was an elaborate sales scheme. It sounds like mad paranoia, and while it isnt literally true, the community definitely has an underlying buy buy buy! mentality that requires a bit of willpower to overcome (unless you are a kid and don’t have access to money/credit cards).

9 Likes