Does anyone use Fountain Pens?

It still hasn’t stocked in some stores it seems.

I got my notification of the pre-order I made on Monday saying it would ship sometime this week! Looks like you really have to lay some ink down on top quality paper for all of the sheen to show up, but that was expected from what all the early reviewers/bloggers said. Should be fun and interesting!

Yeah I’ve noticed that the paper has a lot to do with the amount of sheen that actually shows up. Regardless its still some pretty nice ink.

Speaking of sheen Goulet just announced that in Oct they will be stocking a new line of Diamine Sheen inks. Looks promising as Diamine is already good!

Nice! I know Majestic Blue by Diamine has a nice red sheen which looks good.

Some of the Iroshizuku inks sheen as well as the 1670’s do!

Here’s a pic of the Diamine inks…

The local store where I am at just told me that they will get the Diamine inks this october, that shimmering seas looks pretty nice. I might consider getting a bottle, though I don’t know if I want to keep the ink sitting in a pen for more than a few days.

I missed so much over the summer :stuck_out_tongue:

All these new inks look great! I’m still using and abusing my pens, the Ahab and Al-Star are both filled with Anti-Feather for school work, so not much color fun going on in my world right now

Got the Chivor inked up finally, in my Neponset. Nice dark teal color with good gold sparkle but not much else. A few hints of the red and green here and there. Feathers a lot even on Rhodia/Clairfontaine paper from the flex pen, but it does lay down a lot of ink. It also bleeds through the paper in a flex pen. I shook the bottle up a lot so I think that’s about all the sheen/sparkle I’m going to see out of it. Need to get some of the Tomoe River paper and try it out as I’ve read good things about that combo.

Looks like you really have to use the stuff as paint to get the red out of it, but that’s odd that a 1670 in would have bleeding and feathering issues, since Rouge and Ocean are both great.

Exactly how I felt on the feathering! Fabriano paper didn’t have this issue and showed more color variation! I’ve found their notebooks at Michaels for 50% off and buy one get one free many times. Looks like paper will be key if you’re laying down the ink! Same paper but one image is corrected/flash (bright white paper) and the other standard room lighting with no flash (yellow’ish paper). Right click/view image for full size. As you can see the bright image makes the ink look more blue as teal. I used the Neponset flex pen.

Mdgksdkxnsnshxnzn band. Hands and knees to be equisetum years

Beyond the novelty factor; what is this ink good for?

I would think a page of text written with this ink would be very distracting to read.

This ink would be more for writing something like an invitation, or a card for an event like a birthday or something.

My everyday writing is in black, blue, or red. I use the fun stuff for me, or the above stuff

Interesting that you found Fabriano paper at Michael’s, I’m going to have to go look there, because I haven’t found much great paper there before. Plus I love the way it shades in heavy flexing on that paper, it seems to fade from blue, to red, to black. Very nice

Calligraphy! Art. Or like gijoey959 said. It’s actually not very distracting to read depending on the viewing angle and lighting because it just looks like a nice dark blue/green color. It varies quite a lot actually which is what’s fun/unique about it. There are some colors the fountain pen ink world calls ‘eye searing’ and it’s hard reading a page of text as it stains and hurts your eyes, especially on a bright white paper.

As with most inks it also depends on the pen, nib, and paper. The example I did was with a flex nib pen that lays down a whole lot of ink. With a medium nib pen on notebook paper you would barely get any of the sheen/sparkle or color change as it would just be a dark teal or blue/green with just a tiny bit of sparkle, if any at all. Even a medium nib on high pressed paper like Clairefontaine won’t show near what a flex nib will in the level of sheen/sparkle or coloration. That’s the fun part about a flex nib, you can go from a Fine to Double Bold size line by the amount of pressure you use. As you can see in the pictures the non-flexed parts (no line variation) don’t have much if any of the sparkle so you can get the ink to do what you want using various pens, nibs, or paper.

You should try some out! Not just the special anniversary or novelty inks but any others that may meet your criteria or color preference. If you like tough and office ready colors Noodler’s makes his ‘bulletproof’ line that is archival quality (won’t fade) and fraud proof (can’t remove with alcohol, ammonia, bleach etc.).

The Emerald of Chivor ink is fun for casual correspondence. On an ink resistant paper like Tomoe River and with a wet writing pen, you get the sheen, but mostly when the light hits it at the right angle to reveal it. So, if were you to read a letter written with lots of sheen, and you hold it at a normal angle you would see some sheen, but not the wild coloring in many shots. The photos showing all of the wicked color variation are splashed with ink or written with a wet pen (dip pen in some cases) and photographed with the lighting at the correct angle to reflect off of the dried ink surface. Of course, with a drier writing pen or on regular paper, it just looks like a teal ink for the most part with some gold sparkle here and there.

YYSL uses fountain pens, thus reinforcing my favoritism :stuck_out_tongue:

nah, but just checkin in on one of my favorite threads. Thinking about ordering the SBRE Brown that Diamine cooked up for SBREBrown. It looks really awesome, and I don’t have any brown inks yet

The Diamine Shimmer inks have dropped at Goulet. :slight_smile:

Missed the SBRE brown and it looked nice! Saw the Napoleon J.Herbin edition at La Couronne du Comte while browsing which looked nice also even though it’s just a Vert Empire color in a fancy box/bottle.

Yeah, I notice that some SE inks are just slightly different production inks. Specifically the one time I almost shelled out $50 for some Montblanc Christmas ink that was supposed to be some special red, and I saw the writing review for it, and decided it was just a red ink. REALLY wish they still made Leonardo, I love that ink to death.

Need to pick up some of those Diamine shimmer inks, their Oxblood is still my favorite ink of all time.

Yeah, I also missed the SBRE brown if its gone, I completely forgot about it by the time I had the cash (Plus I picked up a nickel Rebirth ;D)

Thanks, I will get some the next time I get more ink. Right now I am working through my Pilot iroshizuku samples. They are really nice inks too.

I am not really a pen fanatic. I prefer to say I just like fountain pens. I tend to take notes in multiple colors so that individual thoughts stand out from each other. To do this, I find that the vibrant colors and smooth, precise writing of the fountain pen to be superior. I have two Lamy Safari’s, filled with different colors, that I use for work - along with multi-color packs of Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens. These things are terrific pens. They have bright, vibrant, eye-catching ink colors. They are smooth, consistent and write very surprisingly well for a $4 pen. I have yet to experience any issues with the Varsity. They are a great value for an everyday fountain pen. If you lose them, who cares? I have lots more.

I do have one “good” pen. My Pilot Custom 823 is just a delight to use. Absolutely amazing 14K nib that glides over anything in its path; leaving a perfect, fine, wet line. It is a piston filler which makes it all the more fun to explore new inks with.

Yeah, I’m more of an ink person as well. I have a couple Noodler’s Ahabs, a couple of the Noodler’s nib creepers that you get free with the large ink, a Lamy Al-Star that is my daily driver, and my girlfriend swears by, and has two platinum preppy’s, which are great considering they are $3 and can be used as an eye dropper pen.

Anyone pick up some of the new Diamine Shimmers?

Since I have found this forum, I thought I might contribute a few thoughts on my newest inks.

While I too, have also enjoyed the Noodlers inks I have a few questions and observations.

Noodlers inks are both dark and vivid. But some sites have questioned this feature of Noodler’s inks. I would like to hear any first-hand experience with this.

Many sites claim that Noodler’s ink uses solids and binding proteins to achieve the amazing colors that Noodler’s definitely has. But solids not only clog the pen and nib - they also tend to degrade the inner-workings of the pen over time according to some.

I have noticed that those that have opined that Noodler’s were the best; seem to also use relatively low-priced “commodity” pens. What is the opinion of Noodlers with a high-quality pen where long term preservation is a value proposition - like a Montblanc? Is Noodlers “good” for pens? How about Gold nibs?

On the topic of inks; I have been using the Pilot Iroshizuku inks for a few weeks now. Suffice it to say that I have quickly lost much of my enamouration with many other inks in favor of the eye-catching, subtle tones that this line offers.

These inks are meant to mimic the colors found in nature. In that respect, they are absolutely sublime. Where some inks stand-out through the sheer, bold, color-imagery, these are remarkable for colors that simply are not found in other inks. The quality is also amazing. They flow like water and lay on the paper like dividing-lines on a highway; even on paper where others tend to bleed and penetrate. Absolutely superb. I highly recommend any ink-fans give these a try.

Cheers.

1 Like