Does anyone use Fountain Pens?

I don’t mind a scratchy nib if it really writes fine and flexes well. I love practicing calligraphy, and have blended elements of both Spencerian and Copperplate into my everyday handwriting just through playing around with getting “close enough” since I’m entirely too lazy to actually buy the books and print out the practice paper, etc…

But dabbling in calligraphy is fun, and one of the reason I like flex nibs. And if you think fountain pens don’t flex enough to write Spencerian or Copperplate, you’ve not used a vintage gold nib before. Not that I have, but I’ve seen people write with them, and they go from ultra fine to darn near triple broad.

R&K ink has been something that interests me for a while, have you ever seen FPGeeks on youtube? The inkcyclopedia videos are really fun to watch if you love ink as much as I do :stuck_out_tongue:

Any stores sell fountain pens? Looks like something fun to try out. There is a Paradise Pens kinda near me, would that be my best bet?

Probably, but like I tell everyone, just buy a big 4.4 oz bottle of noodler’s ink. It comes with a platinum preppy or in some cases, a noodler’s nib creeper. Either way, both great every day pens and you won’t run out of ink any time soon

Several stores sell fountain pens but an actual pen shop would be best for selection I imagine.

Haven’t watched their vid’s but I’ve looked at the site before, I’ll have to check them out!

Yeah, I find the guy who presents it, sbrebrown, very entertaining as well. I am actually subscribed to his channel since he is pretty darn funny

Oh yeah, I’ve watched sbrebrown before! Reminds me of Ralphy for Scotch reviews (ralfystuff)! My malty matriculaters… ;D

Haha, never seen that channel, but then again, I’ve not really been one for alcohol, but I do have a soft spot for a nice blue agave flavor ;D

Sbrebrown’s Prof. Tarquin Dangleburry character is pretty much the whole reason I subscribed to his channel, I could honestly watch anything involving that persona

Alright guys, at my Grandmas house they found an old antique ink bottle. it also said Skips ink on the label, but it also has sheaffers on it too on the side can you guys tell me anything about it? Cause it’s a really cool bottle, it has an ink well on the side of the bottle.

Check if it has any particulate floating around in it, but it is apparently fairly stable and well rounded ink for all sorts of writing. Everything I could track down pins it around the 60’s and 70’s, and people who are buying them these days are saying its safe as long as there are no particles floating in it.

Cool find anyway, I saw the bottle and it looks really neat and antique

I resent that comment… :smiley:

Age ain’t nothin but a number :stuck_out_tongue: I’m 23 and I’ve got more than my share of grey hair!

Besides, a 45 year old bottle is gonna look old, lol

Anyone have a favorite ink bottle? I like the Mont Blanc bottle, second would be pilot namiki.

I like the shape of the Montblanc bottle as well, but the Akkerman ink bottles are the coolest I’ve seen

actually the bottle was empty when we found it so my dad is storing his other ink in it.

great idea! That’s a nice desk bottle, especially with the inkwell for dip pens

yeah when my dad got the new ink bottle, he was kinda bummed that it didn’t have that inkwell on the side for it so he’s happy now!

Awesome 8)

The Akkerman bottle does look cool, thanks for introducing me to it, now I will have to buy one color in it. Might come in handy for an anime cosplay 8)

For pure aesthetics in current production I would pick the Iroshizuku bottle. For ease of use and simplicity I think the Noodlers bottle works fine. Easy to use, stack or shelve, and plenty of ink. The pen holder on J.Herbin is nice for a single bottle and pen on a desk. The Akkerman is neat. Reminds me of the Sailor bottle and reservoir…

I didn’t know sailor inks had that feature, that’s pretty cool!