DocPop / One Drop Weekender

I wanted to write down a few thoughts about the Doctor Popular Weekender, machined by One Drop and anodized by Gruntbull.

The description is “ultralight modern responsive” and that’s accurate. It’s substantially lighter (like 5+g or more lighter) than everything you see in that pic! Under 47g without a string!

But it’s also …

1. Quite wide. I was trying to think of similar yo-yos and you can see it here next to the Moonshine and old-school Team Losi Cherry Bomb. I didn’t put the old school Turbo Bumblebee GT in there but probably should have. It’s slightly wider than that, too! It’s surprising to handle something so wide which is not undersize at all, that is so light.

2. Mega-high walls. Higher than the Moonshine, Turbo Bumblebee GT, and Cherry Bomb, that’s for sure. You usually only see walls this high on a real old school “wheel” yo-yo like the ProYo II.

3. Giant pads, tiny bearing. It’s also notable that the bearing is small (A) and the response pads are … large. CoreCo pads.

I’ll have more thoughts later but the combination of these four characteristics, above, make this one really unique and fun.

11 Likes

Such a beautiful colorway and yoyo all together. I really regret missing this one. I looked at the Kickstarter a day too late to get this color. Decided to hold off until I can find one.

2 Likes