Every so often I come across a yo-yo that just straight up hates me. Its performance will be amazing but it’ll refuse to cooperate with any trick I throw. I usually notice this with second-hand throws, like a rescue pet that doesn’t want to play. Eventually I end up selling it, but I wondered if this has happened to anyone else
honestly it usually comes to the response for me, sometimes a yoyo no matter what pads i put in it will lack power on the throw yet feel snaggy on the string (looking at you clyw snow tires..)
My Masamini 2.0…I’m no stranger to small yoyos but this one just laughs in my face and just sputters out on me. Honestly, it would have probably been better if it were outfitted with a D bearing. You can only do so much with a C bearing and ultra tiny throw.
also i guess i would say to anyone experiencing this, i always recommend a full ‘tune up’.
pull the pads out, clean each half of the yoyo, bearing seat, etc down with isopropyl alcohol, get a nice bearing (NSKs are the gold standard for most yoyos that don’t have cheap’y made bearing posts) and toss that in with some fresh pads
makes a world of difference most of the time especially since 95% of yoyos ship with the OEM’s pads/bearings which are usually pretty cheap/lower quality
For me it’s my Wraith. There’s nothing wrong with it, it just likes to point out my skill issues. A lot.
Same with the yokel for me. That thing is prickly
I’ve had that happen with a few yoyos. Years ago I had bought what I highly anticipated from Axis yoyos, known as the “Sal-Ti.” It was a titanium throw and out of the box it did not feel anything special. After a good bearing cleaning, the yoyo finally woke up and performed so much better.
Have also just had pads that were too slippy brand new but just continued playing it until that “shine” on the pads wore off. This was on my SPYY Spyder 2, was brand new when I bought it. Now, it feels great!
Damian Puckett Power. Attacked me every chance it got.
My Yonami Code seemingly hates me with every fiber of its being. ![]()










