DM II flowable silicone problem

Okay, so the O-rings in the DM II started coming out, and I was reading about flowable silicon, so I went out and bought some. after, I did the project, I tested out my yoyo, it’s really responsive. Also, the spin time was drastically reduced… :-\ So would there be anyway that I could clean it out? Or what do you guys think is the problem?

Did you get any sili in the bearing seat? That would slow it down if it wasn’t cleaned out. As far as it being responsive that could just be because the sili needs to be warn down a little.

You might have gotten silicone in the bearing seat. You should clean that area out with a cotton-swab, toothpick, or pencil. If there is a bunch of silicone on the face of the yo-yo that will lead to it being responsive as well. Check and clean both those areas. If it is still responsive and the bearing spins fine, you may just need to break the silicone in.

okay, well should i put anything on the tip of the swab or toothpick? (like peroxide… …probly not)

Nope, it should just rub off if its dry.

Another problem might be your silicone. Generally, for a DM (DM 1 at any rate) when my silicone was flush with the surface it would be a bit responsive. Next time you silicone, take a spoon or your fingernail, and scrape off the top layer of silicone, so it lies a bit underneath the recess.

hey, XminusmikeX i did what you said and it’s definitely less responsive, so thanks for that… I’ll just let the rest wear off :slight_smile:
Also Batryn, when I put on the silicon in the beginning, I used the spoon to get rid of the top layer… I don’ know if you meant after the silicon dried, but ya that’s what I did.

Awesome, I’m glad that was all it was ;D

I’m not a huge fan of using flowable silicone. If you want my advice… The same thing always happened to me. I got silicone stuck in the bearing seat. It seemed like every week I’d have to re-silicone my legacy/DM2 and then waiting a whole day for it to dry. So I switched to the pre-made YYJ silicone rings. All you have to do is rip the old ones out, and just stick the new ones in. They last longer, and there is less mess. The only problem with this method is you have to wait for them to ship and arrive at your house. But if you buy a bunch at once, you don’t have to wait much at all.

• That’s just me…

But as for your problem, you could just pick the silicone out of the bearing seat speck by speck, or you could wear it out by just throwing lllloooonnnngggg sleepers. That’s what I always did to make it go away.

Or you can buy some masking tape…

Are you applying to one side or both?

I do it just before I go to sleep, when I wake up its done! :wink:

both.

I’m not saying you can’t do that, but apparently, It “lasts longer” if you wait a full 24 hours, than if you waited say; 3 or 4 hours. I always just waited a whole day just to play it safe. ;D

Red RVT (its the high temp one) is my fav when it comes to sili. I just feel it lasts longer than most, I only need to replace it every other month if not longer. If flowable isn’t lasting for you, try switching to that. Its not as easy to apply like flowable is, but in the long run its worth it in my opinion.

And also, another thing you might want to note is to check if any silicone got into the bearing. If it did (Which happened to me when I silicone the yoyo), the bearing would turn silent and it would only spin really slowly when flicked.

I know, in fact, that IS the kind I used. :wink: Either I’m just doing a poor job (which is quite possible) and need more practice, or it just doesn’t work very well for me. :frowning:

P.S. You said you replace your silicone about every month? Just a side question: how often do you play with that/those yoyos?

I just take a razor blade and scratch up the recess…it holds silicone MUCH better and it is the BIGGEST pain to get out, so its a win-lose situation.

(Kids, get your parents permission to use razor blades.)

Practice makes perfect ;D

It all depends on what throw it is. I have some I don’t play that much but I have others I throw all the time, like my FHZ’s. The FHZ I was trowing yesterday I’ve had sili in it for months and I throw that particular FHZ a lot. It does need a new sili job now but it’s lasted me about 4 months. Once you get used to applying the sili, you don’t have air bubbles, and its in the recess solid, it will last much longer for you. The depth of the recess also has a lot to do with it. If its shallow its not going to last that long but if its deep then the sili will hold better. If I remember the DMv2 has a shallow recess compared to the DMv1 and won’t hold the sili as well but I may be mistaken on that.

I am a firm believer in the Red RTV. I like it better, but if your wick sick sili man (Which I am not) the clear stuff will last a lot longer, and grip harder.

Keep practicing. Goodness I need to keep practicing to.