Discussion: Why Isn’t Doctor Popular a National Yoyo Master?

According to the National Yoyo League, the definition of an awarded Master is:

“The title of “Yo-Yo Master” is awarded for the dual attainment of being recognized as an exemplary player and a progressive leader in the development of future players. The directors of the National Yo-Yo League select these masters based on skill, dedication, and their ability to teach and spread the sport of yo-yos around the world.”

Doctor Popular has been yo-yoing and heavily involved in the yoyo community for many years now, with achievements such as:

-Been a huge influence in yo-yoing since the late 90s-early 2000s
-Created styles like, Mobius, Astro style, and washing machine
-Has hosted and produced many yoyo themed podcasts and videos
-Many of his own signature yoyos
-Has a yoyo company/brand
-Placed or scored well in yoyo competitions
-Won trick innovator of the year award

These are just a few accomplishments of MANY.

So, 1. He HAS been an exemplary player and progressive leader in the development of future players.

And 2, He HAS skill and dedication to spreading the hobby.

So what exactly is holding him back from this Title? I’m just curious. Does it have “something” to do with the “politics” of yo-yoing lol!?

Asking for a friend

8 Likes

National Yoyo Master is just a kind of archaic and outdated thing. It’s not really given at all any more. I’d say a more meaningful award at this point in time (and one still being awarded) is the Trick Innovator of the Year award. Which as you stated Doc already has the title for.

I feel like in general awards and titles in this style just don’t really mean a whole lot any more. Yoyoing has just evolved and changed so much through the internet, social media, and yoyo technology itself. There’s just too much to keep track of and so many people doing big things, yoyoing isn’t as coherent and organized as it once was.

Also a bit of hearsay but a lot of the people behind this award and the old US National yoyo stuff are people who cut their teeth on fixed axle and responsive yoyoing. It kind of makes sense that people who care much more about yoyoing like that would’ve fallen out of favor of caring as much about modern yoyoing with the evolution of unresponsive play. Take this entire paragraph with a grain of salt, this is just what I’ve heard through word of mouth from others.

13 Likes

makes sense

…why wouldn’t the league make an updated statement then. Something to the tune of, “we no longer give out this title.” Or “yoyoing has evolved and this title is moot at this point.”

I dunno.

3 Likes

While Doc doesn’t have a National Master Award, he does have a title in the National Yoyo Hall Of Fame which is also a very huge honor!

https://yo-yos.net/nationalyoyohalloffame/

11 Likes

Good to know. I was wondering if Doc Pop had already been inducted. The Academy of Yo-Yo Arts recently sent out a survey for Hall of Fame nominees Nominee for National yo-yoing Hall of Fame Survey .

4 Likes

Thanks for that link! I made my nomination.

DocPop definitely deserves the Master title!! I feel like the sport is coming back into the main stream with all the content that is being published. Hopefully we can see some more structure start to take hold.

Great topic.

4 Likes

When I got back into yoyos after a 50 year hiatus l was overwhelmed by the number of styles, brands and yoyos. Doc Pop gave me direction, modern responsives, which I have gleefully followed ever since. Whatever accolades the yoyo community can award I think he deserves one.

4 Likes

If we could vote on it, Doc Pop would have my vote.

2 Likes

Doc just has to do a little more to earn that honor.

1. Build a full scale Pyramid with a yo-yo mounted on the very top.

2. Slay the Dragon that guards the entrance of King Yoyodians tomb.

Released 16 more signature Yo-yos…

Post up a video of him doing Washing Machine… while ‘in’ a washing machine’.

And set up a GoFundMe page to raise enough money to buy everybody involved in choosing National champs, a New set of golf clubs.

Etc…

9 Likes

Thanks for all your feedback.

It’s interesting to hear. Most of you including myself think he should have this award/title.

Hall of Fame Honor is not adequate

1 Like

I’ll be honest, the greatest day of running my business was the day I received an order with the recipient “Doctor Popular.” No offense to anyone else who’s bought my strings, but having Mr. Dr. Pop Himself trying my strings was absolutely surreal. He’s a freaking legend. I totally agree with you, the guy pioneered several entire genres of yoyo play and he deserves just about any yoyo-related honor anyone might throw his way.

10 Likes

This thread contains some interesting information about the Yo-yo Master:

3 Likes

There are certainly a good number of people that should already be elevated to National yo-yo Master…

In the meantime, I nominate myself for a New category>

National Yo-yo Monster

I mean, honestly, I don’t think that would be any more unusual than Doc Pop ‘Not already being a Yo-yo Master’.

These unaltered images of me proves I have the qualifications>

10 Likes

Totally understandable! I take no offense, even as a regular customer. In your situation, if feel the same way. Seeing an order from someone considered “legend” in this hobby has got to give you a great feeling. I hope he enjoys the strings as much as i do, and many others do!.

Great work @BadWolfeCo . Keep it going and enjoy the throw!

kgb

4 Likes

bump

His new side business is killing it too!

16 Likes

He commented on a trick I shared on Reddit once…it made me happy.

6 Likes

I believe the greatest gift & accolade one could bestow unto the Doc would be to, “Become of Patreon subscriber and $upport his channel regularly.”

Surely this kind of recognition would be more enlightening…Give generously…Doc on the Grind All The Time!

7 Likes

Only reason I subscribed to it for a couple of months

2 Likes