Death Robot MG

Hi Everyone, I have been on the hunt for a death robot mg for a bit but I figured it might be better to know what it plays like before I end up purchasing one. I get it’s bimetal but does the magnesium give it a lighter feel or does it play similar to aluminum/ss? Also is it light and floaty since there is a center ring? I’ve heard it’s stable and with all of that rim weight that makes sense but can this be confirmed. Finally is there anything that’s more common than this that can be compared to in terms of play (fast, light, smooth, stable, bouncy, etc)?

It might just be the Best yo-yo you have never thrown.

It is very hard to describe the feel and play of the yo-yo.

It is disturbingly good.

I threw KYOs’ personal DR at Nats. Several years ago.

A very INSTANT decision was made that it was a Must Have item.

I would not pay through the nose to get one.

I say that because there are just so many excellent yoyos out there, you can live just fine without ever owning a Death Robot.

But it is certainly one to look out for.

And it is a Solid keeper.

I love mine…

KYO and I spent years in the forums bickering about one thing or another.

But none of our little disagreements share my respect for his genius level yo-yo mind.

He is one Badd Mann.

The Death Robot was the result of some serious research.

Good luck…

6 Likes

Best throw in the case. Either you have one or you wish you had one. I’ll be buried with mine.
Also even though it’s spelled Kyos, it’s pronounced Chaos.

4 Likes

I just picked up a Death Robot MG, and I have a good friend for which this was his grail. We normally end up loving the same things so when one was recently made available to me, I purchased it.

I’ve had a few days with it and it is a really beautiful throw. Looks super classy. The ceramic coating is a bit grippy, akin to the old anti yo bape 2. You might have to use some denim on the catch zone - I noticed the one I got was chewing up string (thankfully before any accidents). This means it’s not as slippy on grinds as a slicker bead blast - it’s a chalkier finish for sure.

Play is indeed floaty, and the response is beautiful even at low speeds.

I will note that it is NOT the most stable or long-spinning yoyo in my collection. It also has some fingernail vibe that I was not able to tune out, although it is not felt on the string. I checked with my pal to see if mine was unique and his does have some fingernail vibe as well, so it wasn’t unique to mine. I think the weight ring in the middle of the cup may add to some propensity for precession at lower speeds. Also it uses the One Drop 10 ball flat bearing stock so you will have the quirks associated with that - most namely the string can get up against the response and snag when you don’t want it to. Flat bearings also require a bit more care in plane management. Due to the design of the yoyo and the flat bearing, it will respond negatively if your play is off plane.

Definitely a fantastic addition to the collection, but it’s not the top performer.

5 Likes