Dale and Quail comparison?

I was wondering if someone could share their thoughts on the differences or similarities between the Dale and Quail yoyos by Art?

I have a Quail and I enjoy it but I’d like to know if it might be worth picking up a Dale too.

Thanks

6 Likes

Short answer is: yes!
At least, in my opinion…

I just had a little back to back session with Dale and Quail. I’ve done my best to discern what I believe are only ever so slight differences between these two Grail babies. I ran each through the same tricks and combos a few times over and switched back and forth between the two several times.

Dale has slightly more “kickback” than Quail (referring the the feel of the yoyo reaching the end of the string on a throw). Dale also feels slightly more dense on the string, he has a little more presence than the Quail which I would say is floatier/lighter in play.

Quail provides tighter binds, especially at super low RPMs…but also has a tendency to snag more with multiple string layers. As I cycled through my low grade tech tricks, Quail did snag on me a couple times, while Dale laughed at these knots. I didn’t bother to re-string either, so I compared with a Zipline Skyline III on Dale and Zipline Executive Lite (a little thinner) on Quail.

Both are most excellent and despite being so similar in both style and play, there are still noticeable differences in how they behave and what they want to do. I couldn’t imagine letting either out of my collection!

Hope that helps, cheers!

Quail has white string, Dale has pink:

10 Likes

Unintentionally may have sold me

2 Likes

I have both as well, and I’ll play off of @Raindog3030 lead, as these both really take advantage of the strengths of the bearing size. The A bearing Quail is more zippy and is all about tight binds, this is why A-RT always recommended using Kitty Regular or Slim strings as it is more sensitive. The Quail also accelerates quicker out of regens. Now The Dale with a D size bearing has a wider gap and can handle Kitty Fat, this one feels more like a mid-sized Grail, though just a slight denser on the string, I would say I even prefer it to The Grail as I like this size for daily players. If you are an A-RT fan you’ll definitely enjoy, and for those who didn’t “get” The Quail, The Dale is probably what you wanted in the first place as it is more forgiving.

8 Likes

Maybe my response pads are just a bit more worn but I actually prefer kitty fat or thicker strings with the quail. It does not unintentionally bind very often in my experience and has made me a better player by staying mindful of those unintentional binds (because they hurt so much). Either way, everyone in this thread is convincing me I need a dale to compliment the grail/quail family that I currently have.

2 Likes